Outsourcing boosted Pacific Brands profits
By Yvette Lane | August 25, 2010 8:09 PM EST
Clothing and footwear manufacturer Pacific Brands (PBG) made a net profit of $52.7 million for the 12 months to the end of June. The earnings lifted up the company from its loss of $235 million a year ago.
Pacific Brands' chief executive officer Sue Morphett said, “Our ability to maintain margins over the last 12 months through price and cost savings is a clear sign that our strategy delivered.”
The company cut more than 1,800 Australian jobs last year. The earnings this year could be attributed largely to offshore sourcing and better foreign exchange rates.
Morphett emphasized that “Reported sales will continue to be impacted by divestments and discontinuation, but in financial year 2011 an improvement (is expected) in underlying sales performance.”
The chief executive said revenue is up 11 percent in spite of the difficult retail environment. Pacific Brands shares were up nearly 15 per cent to $1.015 before noon.
“With transformation savings coming through, and an improved exchange rate, we are confident of improving earnings this year in a difficult market,” Morphett said.
Bonds, Hard Yakka, King Gee, Stubbies, Clarks, and Hush Puppies are manufactured under the Pacific Brands. All products are sold throughout the Asia-Pacific region, the United States, and Europe.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date