Outsourcing boosted Pacific Brands profits
By Yvette Lane | August 25, 2010 8:09 PM EST
Clothing and footwear manufacturer Pacific Brands (PBG) made a net profit of $52.7 million for the 12 months to the end of June. The earnings lifted up the company from its loss of $235 million a year ago.
Pacific Brands' chief executive officer Sue Morphett said, “Our ability to maintain margins over the last 12 months through price and cost savings is a clear sign that our strategy delivered.”
The company cut more than 1,800 Australian jobs last year. The earnings this year could be attributed largely to offshore sourcing and better foreign exchange rates.
Morphett emphasized that “Reported sales will continue to be impacted by divestments and discontinuation, but in financial year 2011 an improvement (is expected) in underlying sales performance.”
The chief executive said revenue is up 11 percent in spite of the difficult retail environment. Pacific Brands shares were up nearly 15 per cent to $1.015 before noon.
“With transformation savings coming through, and an improved exchange rate, we are confident of improving earnings this year in a difficult market,” Morphett said.
Bonds, Hard Yakka, King Gee, Stubbies, Clarks, and Hush Puppies are manufactured under the Pacific Brands. All products are sold throughout the Asia-Pacific region, the United States, and Europe.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown