Outsourcing boosted Pacific Brands profits
By Yvette Lane | August 25, 2010 8:09 PM EST
Clothing and footwear manufacturer Pacific Brands (PBG) made a net profit of $52.7 million for the 12 months to the end of June. The earnings lifted up the company from its loss of $235 million a year ago.
Pacific Brands' chief executive officer Sue Morphett said, “Our ability to maintain margins over the last 12 months through price and cost savings is a clear sign that our strategy delivered.”
The company cut more than 1,800 Australian jobs last year. The earnings this year could be attributed largely to offshore sourcing and better foreign exchange rates.
Morphett emphasized that “Reported sales will continue to be impacted by divestments and discontinuation, but in financial year 2011 an improvement (is expected) in underlying sales performance.”
The chief executive said revenue is up 11 percent in spite of the difficult retail environment. Pacific Brands shares were up nearly 15 per cent to $1.015 before noon.
“With transformation savings coming through, and an improved exchange rate, we are confident of improving earnings this year in a difficult market,” Morphett said.
Bonds, Hard Yakka, King Gee, Stubbies, Clarks, and Hush Puppies are manufactured under the Pacific Brands. All products are sold throughout the Asia-Pacific region, the United States, and Europe.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock May Reach $150; First Trillion Company Talks, iPhone 6 and Apple Watch Boost Price
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan