Outsourcing boosted Pacific Brands profits
By Yvette Lane | August 25, 2010 8:09 PM EST
Clothing and footwear manufacturer Pacific Brands (PBG) made a net profit of $52.7 million for the 12 months to the end of June. The earnings lifted up the company from its loss of $235 million a year ago.
Pacific Brands' chief executive officer Sue Morphett said, “Our ability to maintain margins over the last 12 months through price and cost savings is a clear sign that our strategy delivered.”
The company cut more than 1,800 Australian jobs last year. The earnings this year could be attributed largely to offshore sourcing and better foreign exchange rates.
Morphett emphasized that “Reported sales will continue to be impacted by divestments and discontinuation, but in financial year 2011 an improvement (is expected) in underlying sales performance.”
The chief executive said revenue is up 11 percent in spite of the difficult retail environment. Pacific Brands shares were up nearly 15 per cent to $1.015 before noon.
“With transformation savings coming through, and an improved exchange rate, we are confident of improving earnings this year in a difficult market,” Morphett said.
Bonds, Hard Yakka, King Gee, Stubbies, Clarks, and Hush Puppies are manufactured under the Pacific Brands. All products are sold throughout the Asia-Pacific region, the United States, and Europe.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports