Outsourcing boosted Pacific Brands profits
By Yvette Lane | August 25, 2010 8:09 PM EST
Clothing and footwear manufacturer Pacific Brands (PBG) made a net profit of $52.7 million for the 12 months to the end of June. The earnings lifted up the company from its loss of $235 million a year ago.
Pacific Brands' chief executive officer Sue Morphett said, “Our ability to maintain margins over the last 12 months through price and cost savings is a clear sign that our strategy delivered.”
The company cut more than 1,800 Australian jobs last year. The earnings this year could be attributed largely to offshore sourcing and better foreign exchange rates.
Morphett emphasized that “Reported sales will continue to be impacted by divestments and discontinuation, but in financial year 2011 an improvement (is expected) in underlying sales performance.”
The chief executive said revenue is up 11 percent in spite of the difficult retail environment. Pacific Brands shares were up nearly 15 per cent to $1.015 before noon.
“With transformation savings coming through, and an improved exchange rate, we are confident of improving earnings this year in a difficult market,” Morphett said.
Bonds, Hard Yakka, King Gee, Stubbies, Clarks, and Hush Puppies are manufactured under the Pacific Brands. All products are sold throughout the Asia-Pacific region, the United States, and Europe.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers