iPad 5, iPad Mini 2 Powered by A7X Processor, Says Analyst
By Kristin Dian Mariano | April 22, 2013 12:44 PM EST
KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said that the Apple's iPad 5 is said to be running on Apple A7X quad-core processor. Kuo also said to MacRumors that the next generation iPad 5 from Apple is going to arrive in the market with significant improvements.
"We think the tablet will, at 7.5-8.0mm, be 15 percent thinner than iPad 4. The new device will likely be about 500 grams, or some 25 percent lighter than iPad 4, run on an A7X processor, and sport cameras with similar specs to the iPad 4's (front HD, rear 5MP). The casing shape and color (silver and black) and narrow bezel design will be similar to the iPad mini's," said Kuo, who has been touted for his credible track record in revealing Apple tech products.
According to Kuo's prediction, he is pretty sure that Apple will begin mass production and shipment of the much-awaited iPad 5 between August and September this year.
He also claimed that the next flagship of the Apple's iPad will also feature some of the specs of Apple's iPad Mini like the multilayer-glass-based GF2 touch technology which will trim down the thickness and allow the iPad 5 to be even thinner than its antecedents.
According to rumours, the Apple's iPad 5 is said to be running on Apple A7X quad-core processor, with 1-2GB of RAM and 16GB/32GB/64GB/128GB storage options, along with a 5-8MP rear facing camera and 1.3MP front facing camera. The device will have connectivity options including WiFi + 4G LTE, and Bluetooth 4.0 with Lightning Connector. The iPad 5 is said to come with storage options of 16GB, 32GB, 64GB and 128GB.
On the other hand, Apple's iPad has always had problem of battery life, be it consumption of more power or heating up of the device that makes it too hot to handle. Therefore, Kuo said that Apple may release its iPad 5 with a thinner and smaller battery which could lessen if not totally diminish problems on battery power drain and excessive heating.
"We therefore think that iPad 5's battery capacity will be 25-30 percent smaller, at 8,500-9,000mAh, than iPad 4's, and the battery's thickness will be 15-20 percent smaller, at 7.5-8.0mm, and the number of cells will be reduced to two from three," Kuo claimed in his note. However, Apple has declined to comment on the rumors.
According to reports, iPad Mini 2 will feature a screen with a resolution of 2048 x 1536. This is almost four times the resolution of the present iPad Mini and is equal to the fourth generation iPad which was released along with the iPad Mini last year. AU Optronics has been rumoured to be making displays for the iPad Mini 2.
Other specs include a more powerful dual core A7 processor and a 7.9 inch screen. It will also feature a 10-hour battery life, a FaceTime HD camera, and an iSight camera with 1080 pixels HD video recording. Apple is also trying to reduce the thickness of the iPad Mini 2 by using the Sharp's IGZO (indium gallium zinc oxide) technology in its screens.
The iPad 5, on the other hand, is rumoured to have no bezels, and the whole form factor has been made sleeker. Horowitz believes this design indicates that Apple will be calling on Sharp's IGZO screen technology. Sharp, however, according to Horowitz, has been struggling, and its ability to deliver components on time will play a key role in the release of the next iPad.
However, the Cupertino-based company remained tight-lipped on the rumours and on its plans for this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet