Formula 1 2013 News: Kimi Raikkonen Dismisses Reports of Him Replacing Mark Webber at Red Bull
By Chandrashekar Srinivasan | April 21, 2013 10:18 PM EST
Former world champion Kimi Raikkonen has emerged as a surprise contender to replace Mark Webber at Red Bull Racing next season.
The 2007 Formula 1 world champion with Ferrari is enjoying a superb start to this season's title race, with a win at the opening race of the season, in Australia, and a second place finish last weekend in China. The 33-year-old now has 49 points and trails defending world champion Sebastian Vettel by only three points.
Meanwhile, the Red Bull Racing team has had a disappointing start to the season. Vettel has not been quite as dominant as he has been in the past few years, despite his two pole positions and a race win so far. Nevertheless, the pace of rival teams like Ferrari and Mercedes has not allowed the Milton Keynes outfit to run away with the championship lead; at least not yet.
The real problem for the constructors' champion is the controversial outcome of the Malaysian Grand Prix. Webber was leading Vettel in second, quite comfortably, in the final few laps of the race and team officials then instructed both their drivers to hold their positions to ensure a 1-2 finish.
However, Vettel disregarded the orders and forced his way past Webber, who was less than amused. Although the German has since apologised, he stopped short of promising to respect team orders in the future and, as a result, Webber is widely expected to leave the team when his contract expires at the end of the season.
Raikkonen has been strongly linked with a move to Red Bull for the 2014 season but the Finn has insisted he will concentrate on his season with Lotus-Renault before discussing his future.
"I have no contract for next year - that much is true. But further than that, I don't want to discuss the matter. I want to do well this season and everything else will fall into place," he explained, adding, "There are many things that are undecided and there is still a long way to go this season, so let's see how things unfold."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers