Dallas Cowboys News: Free Agents Tackles Eric Winston And Andre Smith On Dallas's Radar?
April 20, 2013 5:42 AM EST
Desperate to improve an offensive line that committed a litany of penalties and barely any positive yardage in the rushing game last season, the Dallas Cowboys have been tied to a free agent right tackle Eric Winston.
Winston has had a difficult time in free agency this offseason, as he’s seeking roughly $3 to $4 million per season, according to ProFootballTalk, but so far he hasn’t had any takers.
The Cowboys are interested, but with $5 million in cap space, Winston may have to drop his fee if he wants to wear the blue and silver.
Tackle Doug Free is the third highest paid Cowboys in 2013, but his underwhelming performance last season was one of the reasons Dallas ranked in the dead last in the NFL with 79.1 rushing yards per game.
Dallas will take a $10 million-plus cap-hit on Free next season, and another $3.4 million hit on the next highest paid tackle Tyron Smith. To be fair, the Dallas offensive line did allow only 36 sacks, giving Tony Romo much more time in the pocket.
Winston was apart of the fifth ranked Kansas City Chiefs rushing attack last season, after spending five seasons with the Houston Texans while making holes for top running back Arian Foster in the final three.
Team president Stephen Jones could also look to free agent Andre Smith.
The Cincinnati Bengal of four seasons has failed to come to terms with the club on a new contract. With the belief being once he gets a long term deal Smith will slack and once again battle the weight problems that plagued him in his first two seasons.
Even with questions surrounding his worth ethic and offseason eating habits, Smith would be a welcome addition that could help the Dallas running game, and perhaps keep Romo even more upright.
The 26-year-old former Alabama star has made roughly $17 million over the last two seasons, so Dallas may have to consider restructuring Free or Tyron Smith’s deals. Or even letting them go if they were interested.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales