Dallas Cowboys News: Free Agents Tackles Eric Winston And Andre Smith On Dallas's Radar?
April 20, 2013 5:42 AM EST
Desperate to improve an offensive line that committed a litany of penalties and barely any positive yardage in the rushing game last season, the Dallas Cowboys have been tied to a free agent right tackle Eric Winston.
Winston has had a difficult time in free agency this offseason, as he’s seeking roughly $3 to $4 million per season, according to ProFootballTalk, but so far he hasn’t had any takers.
The Cowboys are interested, but with $5 million in cap space, Winston may have to drop his fee if he wants to wear the blue and silver.
Tackle Doug Free is the third highest paid Cowboys in 2013, but his underwhelming performance last season was one of the reasons Dallas ranked in the dead last in the NFL with 79.1 rushing yards per game.
Dallas will take a $10 million-plus cap-hit on Free next season, and another $3.4 million hit on the next highest paid tackle Tyron Smith. To be fair, the Dallas offensive line did allow only 36 sacks, giving Tony Romo much more time in the pocket.
Winston was apart of the fifth ranked Kansas City Chiefs rushing attack last season, after spending five seasons with the Houston Texans while making holes for top running back Arian Foster in the final three.
Team president Stephen Jones could also look to free agent Andre Smith.
The Cincinnati Bengal of four seasons has failed to come to terms with the club on a new contract. With the belief being once he gets a long term deal Smith will slack and once again battle the weight problems that plagued him in his first two seasons.
Even with questions surrounding his worth ethic and offseason eating habits, Smith would be a welcome addition that could help the Dallas running game, and perhaps keep Romo even more upright.
The 26-year-old former Alabama star has made roughly $17 million over the last two seasons, so Dallas may have to consider restructuring Free or Tyron Smith’s deals. Or even letting them go if they were interested.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates