Dallas Cowboys News: Free Agents Tackles Eric Winston And Andre Smith On Dallas's Radar?
April 20, 2013 5:42 AM EST
Desperate to improve an offensive line that committed a litany of penalties and barely any positive yardage in the rushing game last season, the Dallas Cowboys have been tied to a free agent right tackle Eric Winston.
Winston has had a difficult time in free agency this offseason, as he’s seeking roughly $3 to $4 million per season, according to ProFootballTalk, but so far he hasn’t had any takers.
The Cowboys are interested, but with $5 million in cap space, Winston may have to drop his fee if he wants to wear the blue and silver.
Tackle Doug Free is the third highest paid Cowboys in 2013, but his underwhelming performance last season was one of the reasons Dallas ranked in the dead last in the NFL with 79.1 rushing yards per game.
Dallas will take a $10 million-plus cap-hit on Free next season, and another $3.4 million hit on the next highest paid tackle Tyron Smith. To be fair, the Dallas offensive line did allow only 36 sacks, giving Tony Romo much more time in the pocket.
Winston was apart of the fifth ranked Kansas City Chiefs rushing attack last season, after spending five seasons with the Houston Texans while making holes for top running back Arian Foster in the final three.
Team president Stephen Jones could also look to free agent Andre Smith.
The Cincinnati Bengal of four seasons has failed to come to terms with the club on a new contract. With the belief being once he gets a long term deal Smith will slack and once again battle the weight problems that plagued him in his first two seasons.
Even with questions surrounding his worth ethic and offseason eating habits, Smith would be a welcome addition that could help the Dallas running game, and perhaps keep Romo even more upright.
The 26-year-old former Alabama star has made roughly $17 million over the last two seasons, so Dallas may have to consider restructuring Free or Tyron Smith’s deals. Or even letting them go if they were interested.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]