GM Getting Serious About China’s Luxury Auto Market With Its Cadillac XTS And Lincoln Brand
By Angelo Young | April 19, 2013 9:47 PM EST
General Motors Company (NYSE:GM) is on a mission to grab a larger piece of the Chinese luxury automobile market and says it plans to unveil a new Cadillac every year through 2016 as well as debut its Lincoln marque for the first time there in 2014.
"With a refreshed SRX and a locally produced XTS and the right powertrain, we really expect it [the Cadillac brand] to start to take hold," Bob Socia, head of GM's China operations, says in an interview Friday, with the Wall Street Journal.
The SRX is the brand’s small SUV and the XTS is the large luxury sedan introduced this year that’s being assembled for the Chinese market by Shanghai General Motors Co. Ltd., the joint venture between top Chinese car maker Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation Group.
GM has similar partnerships with two other top Chinese automakers, Liuzhou Wuling Automobile Industry Co. and FAW Group Corp., as part of the complex web of partnerships between China’s top automakers and well-known international auto companies.
GM, the largest U.S. automaker, said it has sold 30,000 luxury Cadillac SLS's -- the Asian version of the STS mid-sized luxury sedan introduced in China in 2009 -- because of China’s steep taxes on V6 engines. Despite the Chinese government’s big-engine tax, GM says it plans to produce 100,000 units a year by 2016.
The Chinese market for luxury cars has grown in recent year to 8.5 percent of total vehicle sales, the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers says. GM sells eight brands in China, including Buick, Opel, Wuling and Baojun. The company recently began showing commercials, featuring A-list Hollywood actor Brad Pitt:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
- Kate Middleton, Kelly Brook Have 'Most Perfect Breasts' While Kim Kardashian, Rihanna Have 'Least Desirable' Breasts, New Survey Finds [SEE PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
Join the Conversation
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Upcoming Ford Falcon Can Save Life with 000 Technology During Crash
- All-New Mazda2 to Roll Out in Australia This Summer
- Much-Awaited Mazda MX-5 Limited Edition in Australia
- 75 Dead from China Car Parts Plant Blast, Poor Safety Measures Blamed
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6: Performance, Sales, iOS 8 and Android 5.0 L
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed