Consumers Waiting for iPad Mini 2 Release Date Hurting Predecessor’s Sales and Shipments
By Kristin Dian Mariano | April 18, 2013 10:01 AM EST
A new report this morning states that upstream sources in the iPad mini supply chain expect a 20-30% decline in shipments for the device during the second quarter of 2013 due to lacking demand in the market. The lacking demand stems from consumers waiting for the release of the next generation iPad mini, said the sources.
Apple has also recently adjusted its reserves for the current iPad mini, which are estimated to be between 10-12 million during the quarter, down from approximately 15 million in the first quarter of the year. Apple still hopes to ship 55 million iPad minis in 2013, the sources said.
Reports claimed that iPad Mini 2 with Retina screen display may be released as late as November this year due to manufacturing issues.
KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo speculated that iPad Mini 2 may not be released along with Apple's upcoming full-sized tablet - iPad 5. The iPad mini is already a popular iPad and may outsell full size iPad even without a high-resolution display. The lack of a Retina Display was one of the biggest complaints about the iPad mini, which Apple launched in October of 2012.
According to reports, iPad Mini 2 will feature a screen with a resolution of 2048 x 1536. This is almost four times the resolution of the present iPad Mini and is equal to the fourth generation iPad which was released along with the iPad Mini last year. AU Optronics has been rumoured to be making displays for the iPad Mini 2.
Other specs include a more powerful dual core A7 processor and a 7.9 inch screen. It will also feature a 10-hour battery life, a FaceTime HD camera, and an iSight camera with 1080 pixels HD video recording. Apple is also trying to reduce the thickness of the iPad Mini 2 by using the Sharp's IGZO (indium gallium zinc oxide) technology in its screens..
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2