12MP Sensor, HDR Capability to Banner Killer Camera Features for iPhone 5S, iPhone 6 Release Dates?
By Erik Pineda | April 17, 2013 6:28 PM EST
The next iPhone editions, which cover the rumoured iPhone 5S and the phablet-size iPhone 6, will sport snapping features that allow the production of top-quality images even in low-light ambiance, new reports said.
In a freshly circulating buzz, courtesy of Vietnamese blog site Tinh Te, Apple is reported to be working on camera capabilities that would allow iPhone users to capture clear pictures, regardless of the lighting condition.
This will be made possible by the deployment of a 12MP sensor with the iPhone 5S and possibly it bigger cousin, the 4.8-inch iPhone 6. The new camera chip is enhanced with better sensitivity and high dynamic range (HDR) capabilities, reports said.
The rumours make sense as Apple is hard-pressed to further elevate the camera allure of the upcoming iPhones, following the releases of rival smartphones that were configured to impress camera enthusiasts.
The race to include a topnotch shooter with smartphones was redefined by Nokia in 2012 when it introduced the PureView technology with the high-end Lumia 920. Other brands followed suit, and current releases like the Samsung Galaxy S4 and the HTC One attempt to impress either through massive megapixels cool camera features.
With the iPhone 5S and the iPhone 6 already looming, it is expected that Apple will better the iPhone 5 cam muscles that "boasted a large f/2.4 aperture and a backside illuminated sensor, and offered performance improvements over previous models when taking pictures in dark environments," Apple Insider said in a report.
Another camera improvement that the 5S would likely include is a reconfigured optic and sensor systems, which when integrated with the latest iPhone iterations would diminish 'purple fringing'.
Purple fringing, according to Apple Insider, is normal occurrences on compact cameras with limited focal reach.
It is also believed that both the iPhone 5S and the iPhone 6 will employ sapphire glass on their camera for added durability.
The two handsets are rumoured to come out on separate release dates, with the iPhone 5S set for a global rollout anytime between August and September this year.
The iPhone 6, on the other hand, will be likely launched on the initial months of 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- Julie Bishop Condemns Barack Obama For Overlooking Australia’s Commitment in Protecting Great Barrier Reef