After Boston Marathon Bombings, Brazil Vows to Strengthen Security During Pope Visit, World Cup, Olympics
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 17, 2013 4:32 PM EST
Brazil has vowed to strengthen and intensity its security measures and tactics in light of the heinous Boston Marathon bombings on Tuesday which has so far claimed three lives and injured more than 170. Brazil is set to play host to two major global events this year, and then each next year and on 2016.
Brazil will host this year's World Youth Day and the Confederations Cup soccer tournament. The World Youth Day event alone is expected to assemble as many as 2.5 million visitors. It will be the first World Youth Day event of newly-installed one-month-old Pope Francis.
On 2014, Brazil will stage the World Cup and then on 2016, the Rio Summer Olympics.
This early, fears already flaunt the Boston Marathon bombings might occur in any of the four events.
"Brazil is taking all necessary precautions and we are confident that the security of these events will be ensured," Antonio Patriota, Brazil's foreign minister, said on Tuesday, following the deadly Boston bombing attacks.
On Tuesday, a bomb planted near the finish line went off during the Boston Marathon. The fatalities have been identified as 29-year old Krystle Campbell and eight-year-old Martin Richard. The third fatality, a Chinese graduate student from Boston University, remained unidentified upon the requests of her family.
"The student was one of three friends who watched the race near the finish line," the university said on its website.
According to a profile on LinkedIn, the woman, who was due to get her master's degree in 2014, was a graduate student in mathematics and statistics at Boston University.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: