iPad Mini 2 With Retina Display Release Date Set on November Due to Delay in Production?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | April 17, 2013 11:09 AM EST
IPad Mini 2 with Retina screen display may be released as late as November this year due to manufacturing ises, according to the latest reports.
KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo speculated that iPad Mini 2 may not be released along with Apple's upcoming full-sized tablet - iPad 5. The iPad mini is already a popular iPad and may outsell full size iPad even without a high-resolution display. The lack of a Retina Display was one of the biggest complaints about the iPad mini, which Apple launched in October of 2012.
"Earlier we estimated that shipments of the new iPhone would begin in July (FDD version) and September (TDD version), while iPad mini 2 would hit the market in August," Kuo said to MacRumors.
"Currently, market consensus for shipments of iPhone 5S, low-cost iPhone and iPad mini 2 is July, July, and August, respectively. But in light of publicly available information and our knowledge of technological trends, we now think all three products will begin shipments later than our previous expectation and market consensus."
In the scenarios that Kuo outlines, the iPhone 5S release date and the iPad Mini 2 release date fall in the same month. This could point to a joint event for the iPhone 5S and iPad Mini 2 and a separate iPad 5 launch event. It's not clear if this would push the iPad 5 release up to May as one insider suggested or if it would arrive later in 2013 and closer to the holidays.
As for the iPad Mini 2 Retina Display, Kuo believes it is the reason behind the delay. The technical issues with the smaller but higher resolution display are likely tied to design and manufacturing problems.
According to reports, iPad Mini 2 will feature a screen with a resolution of 2048 x 1536. This is almost four times the resolution of the present iPad Mini and is equal to the fourth generation iPad which was released along with the iPad Mini last year. AU Optronics has been rumoured to be making displays for the iPad Mini 2.
Other specs include a more powerful dual core A7 processor and a 7.9 inch screen. It will also feature a 10-hour battery life, a FaceTime HD camera, and an iSight camera with 1080 pixels HD video recording. Apple is also trying to reduce the thickness of the iPad Mini 2 by using the Sharp's IGZO (indium gallium zinc oxide) technology in its screens.
However, these are mere speculations and Apple has not confirmed any of the aforementioned specs and features.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists