iPad Mini 2 With Retina Display Release Date Set on November Due to Delay in Production?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | April 17, 2013 11:09 AM EST
IPad Mini 2 with Retina screen display may be released as late as November this year due to manufacturing ises, according to the latest reports.
KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo speculated that iPad Mini 2 may not be released along with Apple's upcoming full-sized tablet - iPad 5. The iPad mini is already a popular iPad and may outsell full size iPad even without a high-resolution display. The lack of a Retina Display was one of the biggest complaints about the iPad mini, which Apple launched in October of 2012.
"Earlier we estimated that shipments of the new iPhone would begin in July (FDD version) and September (TDD version), while iPad mini 2 would hit the market in August," Kuo said to MacRumors.
"Currently, market consensus for shipments of iPhone 5S, low-cost iPhone and iPad mini 2 is July, July, and August, respectively. But in light of publicly available information and our knowledge of technological trends, we now think all three products will begin shipments later than our previous expectation and market consensus."
In the scenarios that Kuo outlines, the iPhone 5S release date and the iPad Mini 2 release date fall in the same month. This could point to a joint event for the iPhone 5S and iPad Mini 2 and a separate iPad 5 launch event. It's not clear if this would push the iPad 5 release up to May as one insider suggested or if it would arrive later in 2013 and closer to the holidays.
As for the iPad Mini 2 Retina Display, Kuo believes it is the reason behind the delay. The technical issues with the smaller but higher resolution display are likely tied to design and manufacturing problems.
According to reports, iPad Mini 2 will feature a screen with a resolution of 2048 x 1536. This is almost four times the resolution of the present iPad Mini and is equal to the fourth generation iPad which was released along with the iPad Mini last year. AU Optronics has been rumoured to be making displays for the iPad Mini 2.
Other specs include a more powerful dual core A7 processor and a 7.9 inch screen. It will also feature a 10-hour battery life, a FaceTime HD camera, and an iSight camera with 1080 pixels HD video recording. Apple is also trying to reduce the thickness of the iPad Mini 2 by using the Sharp's IGZO (indium gallium zinc oxide) technology in its screens.
However, these are mere speculations and Apple has not confirmed any of the aforementioned specs and features.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet