Meet Jeff Bauman: Boston Bombing Victim In Graphic Wheelchair Photo Now In Stable Condition
By Connor Adams Sheets | April 17, 2013 6:19 AM EST
Jeff Bauman, Jr., sustained extensive damage to both of his legs during the Boston Marathon terror attack Monday afternoon, but he survived the explosion and is in stable condition, according to his father.
The 24-year-old had to have both of his legs amputated, but his father, Jeff Bauman, Sr., wrote on Facebook that his son is going to pull through, despite the brutal wounds he sustained.
"Thank you for all your thoughts an prayers, they did help greatly. Unfortunately my son was just in the wrong place at the wrong time," Jeff Bauman, Sr., wrote in a Tuesday morning Facebook post. "He had to have both lower limbs removed due to the excessive vascular and bone damage ... He went back into surgery last night at midnight for exploratory due to fluid in his abdomen. He came out at 2:30 and doctors informed us he was doing better."
The fact that the younger Bauman is still alive at all may come as a shocking relief to many who viewed the shocking photograph of him being wheeled away from the bombing site near the marathon's finish line with his legs seemingly torn off near the shins.
The image is one of the most visceral of the many taken Monday in Boston, and in it he is accompanied by two responders and cowboy hat-wearing peace activist Carlos Arredondo, who can be seen in the photo literally pinching Jeff Bauman, Jr.'s femoral artery closed in an effort to staunch the bleeding.
Apparently Arredondo's heoric efforts were worth it, as they may have directly contributed to the victim's ability to survive the horrific injuries he sustained as the bomb that went off directly adjacent to the finish line.
Jeff Bauman, Sr., did not immediately respond to a Facebook message or a voicemail left at his home in Concord, N.H., Tuesday afternoon.
Jeff Bauman, Jr., of Chelmsford, Mass., attended the marathon in order to watch his girlfriend run the race, sitting near the finish line so he would be able to watch her cross it, his sister Csila Schneider told the New York Daily News at Boston Medical Center, where she and other members of the young victim's family were holding vigil for him Monday night.
Schneider, who did not immediately respond to a Facebook message sent Tuesday afternoon, told the Daily News that her brother was sedated but still conscious as of Monday night.
“I hope they catch these people,” she told the newspaper, referencing whoever is behind the Boston Marathon terror attack that took her brother's legs from him.
Jeff Bauman, Jr., appears to be an avid music lover and fan of the New England Patriots, according to his Facebook page.
One of Bauman's friends wrote a post on Reddit looking for information about his buddy, and praising Arredondo for helping to save Bauman's life.
"That's my friend Jeff in the wheelchair. This is the latest update I have on him. Google Person Finder says he is alive but for all I know someone saw this and reported him as alive," he wrote before confirming in a follow-up that his friend was indeed in stable condition. "Carlos Arrendondo [sic] should never have to buy a drink in this town again."
Jeff Bauman, Sr., expressed his raw emotion via an initial Facebook post Monday night, revealing the depths of his despair over the attack and its devastating impacts on his family.
"Can everyone pray for my Son Jeff jr who was at the finish line today in Boston. He is in surgery right now with injuries to his legs," he wrote. "I just can't explain whats wrong with people today to do this to people. I'm starting to lose faith in our country."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans