Australian Stock Market Report –Midday 4-16-13
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | April 16, 2013 12:25 PM EST
Local stocks are once again under selling pressure following yet another slump in the price of gold, and explosions at the Boston Marathon which are being treated as a criminal investigation. US stocks sold off sharply in the final hour of trade following the explosions, with the Dow Jones Index falling 60pts in a matter of minutes.
At lunchtime in the East, the All Ordinaries Index is down 0.8 per cent, adding to yesterday's 1 per cent fall.
Gold slumped again overnight and has continued to break through US$1350 an ounce in electronic trading this morning. There are real concerns some smaller Australian gold mines will be unable to make profit with gold at these levels, high labour costs and a strong Australian dollar. Australia's largest listed gold producer Newcrest Mining (NCM) has fallen a further 6.5 per cent in early trade to $16.76 while smaller companies such as KCN, AGG, AQG and OGC are all down in the order of 7-10 per cent.
Minutes from the Reserve Bank of Australia's April meeting have been released showing the central bank believes inflation will remain close to target and that interest rate sensitive parts of the economy are responding to rate cuts.
The Australian dollar has rebounded during the early trading session, after falling through US103c during New York trade. At Midday in the East, the AUD is worth US103.3c, €79.25c and £0.6761.
So far on the market, one billion shares have changed hands, worth $2.01 billion. 169 shares are up, 743 are down and 254 are unchanged.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 18, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 17, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 18, 2014
- Financial Intelligence Agency Suspends Sydney Remittance Firm Over Suspicions It Is Used To Finance Terrorism In Middle East
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 17, 2014
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone