Family Of Audrie Pott To File Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Teens Accused Of Sexual Assault
By Howard Koplowitz | April 16, 2013 1:26 AM EST
The family of Audrie Pott, the California teen who hanged herself after photos of her allegedly being sexual assaulted while passed out at a school party were posted online, was expected to file a wrongful death suit Monday against the teenage defendants accused of committing the attacks.
Eight days after the alleged September assault, Audrie hanged herself when photos of the alleged attack were posting online. On Facebook, the 15-year-old Saratoga High School students wrote, “the whole world knows … my life is ruined.”
Three teenagers, who were not named because they are minors, were charged with sexually abusing Audrie at a Saratoga, Calif., house party. Two of the defendants were classmates of Audrie while the third was a former Saratoga High School student.
Now the defendants are expected to face civil litigation on top of the criminal charges, Yahoo News reported.
Bob Allard, attorney for the Pott family, told the website he intended to file a wrongful death suit against the teenaged defendants on Monday.
"We intend to prove in a court of law that her death was related to what they did,” Allard said.
Allard said the family decided to file the lawsuit upon reading comments from the defendants’ lawyers in the Los Angeles Times.
"Much of what has been reported over the last several days is inaccurate. Most disturbing is the attempt to link [Audrie's] suicide to the specific actions of these three boys," the three attorneys – Eric S. Geffon, Alan M. Lagod and Benjamin J. Williams – wrote in a statement sent to the paper.
Allard accused the boys of trying to delete what he said were incriminating posts of the sexual assault.
“They were certainly aware enough and mature enough to carry out something as elaborate as this, and they should be punished accordingly,” the attorney told the Times.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Women’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 - Li Na, Sharapova, Kvitova, And Williams
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- US Government Threatened Yahoo to Provide User Data: If not Pay a Fine of $250,000 per day
- Optus Successfully Launches Optus 10 Satellite That Will Improve TV, Internet, Phone & Data Transmission In Australia
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Moto X Pure Edition is Coming Soon with Wi-Fi Calling – Reports
- 7 Reasons Why Atlassian Topped BRW’s Best Place To Work In Australia 2014 List