NFL Trade Rumors: Mark Sanchez To Tampa Bay Buccaneers With Darrelle Revis?
April 14, 2013 9:45 PM EST
Looks like the New York Jets are trying to unload cornerback Darrelle Revis and clean up cap space by moving quarterback Mark Sanchez.
Sanchez and the $8.25 million he’s guaranteed next season are just one of several contracts choking the Jets salary cap space next season, and New York could include him in a deal with Revis to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, according to Pro Football Talk.
That same report suggested Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Greg Schiano wasn’t entirely sold on current starter Josh Freeman, and that Schiano may be intrigued by working with Sanchez.
The addition of Sanchez in the trade, would leave New York with quarterbacks Tim Tebow, David Garrard, Matt Simms, and Greg McIlroy on the roster.
New York currently has $12 million in cap space, but are rumored to be in the middle of anothe rebuild. Any additional space would certainly speed up that process.
Since guiding New York to two straight AFC title games in his first two years, Sanchez has gone 14-17 as a starter, throwing 39 touchdowns to 36 interceptions. Last season was perhaps the worst for Sanchez statistically since his rookie season, indicating he regressed once Tim Tebow came to town.
As for Revis, the Buccaneers are certainly interested, but initially disagreed with New York’s demands for a first round pick this year, as opposed to one in the 2014 draft.
Should the Buccaneers give in, that gives New York two of the first 13 overall picks in this year’s draft. Tampa Bay holds the No. 13 overall pick, and the Jets the ninth.
The 27-year-old Revis is still recovering from a torn ACL that kept him out of 14 games last season. Still he is reportedly asking to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL at $16 million or more a season, a price the Jets are unwilling to meet.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories