NFL Trade Rumors: Mark Sanchez To Tampa Bay Buccaneers With Darrelle Revis?
April 14, 2013 9:45 PM EST
Looks like the New York Jets are trying to unload cornerback Darrelle Revis and clean up cap space by moving quarterback Mark Sanchez.
Sanchez and the $8.25 million he’s guaranteed next season are just one of several contracts choking the Jets salary cap space next season, and New York could include him in a deal with Revis to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, according to Pro Football Talk.
That same report suggested Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Greg Schiano wasn’t entirely sold on current starter Josh Freeman, and that Schiano may be intrigued by working with Sanchez.
The addition of Sanchez in the trade, would leave New York with quarterbacks Tim Tebow, David Garrard, Matt Simms, and Greg McIlroy on the roster.
New York currently has $12 million in cap space, but are rumored to be in the middle of anothe rebuild. Any additional space would certainly speed up that process.
Since guiding New York to two straight AFC title games in his first two years, Sanchez has gone 14-17 as a starter, throwing 39 touchdowns to 36 interceptions. Last season was perhaps the worst for Sanchez statistically since his rookie season, indicating he regressed once Tim Tebow came to town.
As for Revis, the Buccaneers are certainly interested, but initially disagreed with New York’s demands for a first round pick this year, as opposed to one in the 2014 draft.
Should the Buccaneers give in, that gives New York two of the first 13 overall picks in this year’s draft. Tampa Bay holds the No. 13 overall pick, and the Jets the ninth.
The 27-year-old Revis is still recovering from a torn ACL that kept him out of 14 games last season. Still he is reportedly asking to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL at $16 million or more a season, a price the Jets are unwilling to meet.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools