NFL Trade Rumors: Mark Sanchez To Tampa Bay Buccaneers With Darrelle Revis?
April 14, 2013 9:45 PM EST
Looks like the New York Jets are trying to unload cornerback Darrelle Revis and clean up cap space by moving quarterback Mark Sanchez.
Sanchez and the $8.25 million he’s guaranteed next season are just one of several contracts choking the Jets salary cap space next season, and New York could include him in a deal with Revis to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, according to Pro Football Talk.
That same report suggested Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Greg Schiano wasn’t entirely sold on current starter Josh Freeman, and that Schiano may be intrigued by working with Sanchez.
The addition of Sanchez in the trade, would leave New York with quarterbacks Tim Tebow, David Garrard, Matt Simms, and Greg McIlroy on the roster.
New York currently has $12 million in cap space, but are rumored to be in the middle of anothe rebuild. Any additional space would certainly speed up that process.
Since guiding New York to two straight AFC title games in his first two years, Sanchez has gone 14-17 as a starter, throwing 39 touchdowns to 36 interceptions. Last season was perhaps the worst for Sanchez statistically since his rookie season, indicating he regressed once Tim Tebow came to town.
As for Revis, the Buccaneers are certainly interested, but initially disagreed with New York’s demands for a first round pick this year, as opposed to one in the 2014 draft.
Should the Buccaneers give in, that gives New York two of the first 13 overall picks in this year’s draft. Tampa Bay holds the No. 13 overall pick, and the Jets the ninth.
The 27-year-old Revis is still recovering from a torn ACL that kept him out of 14 games last season. Still he is reportedly asking to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL at $16 million or more a season, a price the Jets are unwilling to meet.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet