NFL Free Agents 2013: Brandon Lloyd, John Abraham, Dwight Freeney, And Brian Urlacher Still On The Market
April 13, 2013 3:21 AM EST
The 2013 NFL Draft is less than two weeks away, but several big name free agents remain on the market.
Players who were key contributors to 2012 playoff teams are without jobs. Their age and contract demands have kept them free agents for a month into the offseason.
Below are four of the best NFL players that are still available.
The wide receiver has been a free agent for almost a month after being released by the New England Patriots. He doesn’t appear close to signing with a team, even though he’s one of the better receivers still available.
At 31 years old, Lloyd had the second-best season of his career in 2012. He was second on the Patriots with 74 catches and 911 receiving yards.
It’s hard to believe that Lloyd will remain a free agent for long, after putting up such a productive season.
The defensive end has been very consistent in his ability to get to the quarterback in recent years. He’s recorded at least 9.5 sacks in five of the last six seasons, and was a key part in the Atlanta Falcons almost reaching the Super Bowl in 2012.
Abraham is still without a team, but a few clubs are looking to sign him. After the Denver Broncos considered bringing in the 35-year-old, the Miami Dolphins and New England Patriots appear to be his top two suitors. However, the veteran will have to lower his asking price if he wants either team to give him a contract.
Freeney, much like Abraham, has shown the ability to still be a productive pass rusher. His age, though, has teams reluctant to make a commitment to him.
The 33-year-old’s numbers have steadily declined in the past few years, so he may have to take less money than what he had hoped for. He recorded 5.5 sacks in 14 games last season.
If New England doesn’t sign Abraham, they could bring in Freeney to help with their defensive line.
Once considered a top linebacker in the NFL, Urlacher finds himself jobless in the 2013 offseason. The Chicago Bears parted ways with him after 13 seasons, and the veteran is looking to continue his career elsewhere.
Urlacher might have difficulty finding a team that wants to make him a major part of their defense. While battling injuries, he’s lost a lot of his speed in the past few years. He recorded just 68 tackles in 2012 in what was the worst season of his career.
The Oakland Raiders are one team that has been rumored to have interest in the 34-year-old. They have a hole to fill at the position after releasing Rolando McClain.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- Serena Williams Shows Off Her Bikini Body With Eva Longoria At The Miami Beach After US Open Victory
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone