NFL Free Agents 2013: Brandon Lloyd, John Abraham, Dwight Freeney, And Brian Urlacher Still On The Market
April 13, 2013 3:21 AM EST
The 2013 NFL Draft is less than two weeks away, but several big name free agents remain on the market.
Players who were key contributors to 2012 playoff teams are without jobs. Their age and contract demands have kept them free agents for a month into the offseason.
Below are four of the best NFL players that are still available.
The wide receiver has been a free agent for almost a month after being released by the New England Patriots. He doesn’t appear close to signing with a team, even though he’s one of the better receivers still available.
At 31 years old, Lloyd had the second-best season of his career in 2012. He was second on the Patriots with 74 catches and 911 receiving yards.
It’s hard to believe that Lloyd will remain a free agent for long, after putting up such a productive season.
The defensive end has been very consistent in his ability to get to the quarterback in recent years. He’s recorded at least 9.5 sacks in five of the last six seasons, and was a key part in the Atlanta Falcons almost reaching the Super Bowl in 2012.
Abraham is still without a team, but a few clubs are looking to sign him. After the Denver Broncos considered bringing in the 35-year-old, the Miami Dolphins and New England Patriots appear to be his top two suitors. However, the veteran will have to lower his asking price if he wants either team to give him a contract.
Freeney, much like Abraham, has shown the ability to still be a productive pass rusher. His age, though, has teams reluctant to make a commitment to him.
The 33-year-old’s numbers have steadily declined in the past few years, so he may have to take less money than what he had hoped for. He recorded 5.5 sacks in 14 games last season.
If New England doesn’t sign Abraham, they could bring in Freeney to help with their defensive line.
Once considered a top linebacker in the NFL, Urlacher finds himself jobless in the 2013 offseason. The Chicago Bears parted ways with him after 13 seasons, and the veteran is looking to continue his career elsewhere.
Urlacher might have difficulty finding a team that wants to make him a major part of their defense. While battling injuries, he’s lost a lot of his speed in the past few years. He recorded just 68 tackles in 2012 in what was the worst season of his career.
The Oakland Raiders are one team that has been rumored to have interest in the 34-year-old. They have a hole to fill at the position after releasing Rolando McClain.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery