Sacramento Kings Going To Seattle Or Staying? A Decision Is Very Close
April 12, 2013 5:26 AM EST
The future of the Sacramento Kings may ready to be decided upon.
Two groups of Sacramento and Seattle investors have been competing for the right to have the team in their city. The Maloof family agreed to sell the team to the Seattle group in January, accepting a $341 million offer. However, the bid has yet to be approved by the NBA.
On Friday, the Sacramento group, led by mayor Kevin Johnson, may have its last chance to keep the Kings in California. The Maloofs have set Friday as the deadline for Johnson’s investor’s to match Seattle’s offer. If the league ends up rejecting the Seattle group, the Maloofs might accept an equal offer to keep the team where it is.
Johnson says developer Mark Friedman has joined the effort to the keep the team in Sacramento. Friedman replaces billionaire Ron Burkle, who recently left the group.
If the mayor and former NBA star wants to keep the Kings where they’ve been since 1985, the group may have to exponentially increase their offer to the Maloofs. A source tells ESPN that their initial offer was “not even close” to Seattle’s bid.
Even if Friedman’s involvement is able to help the group match Seattle’s offer, they will still have to pay the Seattle investors an additional $30 million. That’s how much the Seattle group put down as a non-refundable despot when they first made the deal with the Maloofs.
Both sides presented their arguments to David Stern last week, looking to get approved for a deal. The NBA Board of Governors will ultimately decide to whom the Maloofs are allowed to sell the team.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best