Sacramento Kings Going To Seattle Or Staying? A Decision Is Very Close
April 12, 2013 5:26 AM EST
The future of the Sacramento Kings may ready to be decided upon.
Two groups of Sacramento and Seattle investors have been competing for the right to have the team in their city. The Maloof family agreed to sell the team to the Seattle group in January, accepting a $341 million offer. However, the bid has yet to be approved by the NBA.
On Friday, the Sacramento group, led by mayor Kevin Johnson, may have its last chance to keep the Kings in California. The Maloofs have set Friday as the deadline for Johnson’s investor’s to match Seattle’s offer. If the league ends up rejecting the Seattle group, the Maloofs might accept an equal offer to keep the team where it is.
Johnson says developer Mark Friedman has joined the effort to the keep the team in Sacramento. Friedman replaces billionaire Ron Burkle, who recently left the group.
If the mayor and former NBA star wants to keep the Kings where they’ve been since 1985, the group may have to exponentially increase their offer to the Maloofs. A source tells ESPN that their initial offer was “not even close” to Seattle’s bid.
Even if Friedman’s involvement is able to help the group match Seattle’s offer, they will still have to pay the Seattle investors an additional $30 million. That’s how much the Seattle group put down as a non-refundable despot when they first made the deal with the Maloofs.
Both sides presented their arguments to David Stern last week, looking to get approved for a deal. The NBA Board of Governors will ultimately decide to whom the Maloofs are allowed to sell the team.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report