Sacramento Kings Going To Seattle Or Staying? A Decision Is Very Close
April 12, 2013 5:26 AM EST
The future of the Sacramento Kings may ready to be decided upon.
Two groups of Sacramento and Seattle investors have been competing for the right to have the team in their city. The Maloof family agreed to sell the team to the Seattle group in January, accepting a $341 million offer. However, the bid has yet to be approved by the NBA.
On Friday, the Sacramento group, led by mayor Kevin Johnson, may have its last chance to keep the Kings in California. The Maloofs have set Friday as the deadline for Johnson’s investor’s to match Seattle’s offer. If the league ends up rejecting the Seattle group, the Maloofs might accept an equal offer to keep the team where it is.
Johnson says developer Mark Friedman has joined the effort to the keep the team in Sacramento. Friedman replaces billionaire Ron Burkle, who recently left the group.
If the mayor and former NBA star wants to keep the Kings where they’ve been since 1985, the group may have to exponentially increase their offer to the Maloofs. A source tells ESPN that their initial offer was “not even close” to Seattle’s bid.
Even if Friedman’s involvement is able to help the group match Seattle’s offer, they will still have to pay the Seattle investors an additional $30 million. That’s how much the Seattle group put down as a non-refundable despot when they first made the deal with the Maloofs.
Both sides presented their arguments to David Stern last week, looking to get approved for a deal. The NBA Board of Governors will ultimately decide to whom the Maloofs are allowed to sell the team.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate