Gucci Mane Indicted For Atlanta Nightclub Assault
April 11, 2013 12:25 PM EST
Rapper Gucci Mane has been formally indicted for one count of assault in Atlanta. According to the Atlanta Journal Constitution, Gucci Mane was indicted on Tuesday after striking a soldier with a champagne bottle at an Atlanta nightclub.
James Lettley, 32, attempted to strike up a conversation with Gucci Mane during a mixtape release party in the VIP section of Atlanta’s Harlem Nights Ultra Lounge on March 16, according to the Associated Press.
Soon after Lettley began speaking to him, Gucci Mane -- born Radric Davis -- struck him in the face with the champagne bottle. A second man reportedly hit Lettley in the face soon afterward. The rapper, who appeared in the recently released film "Spring Breakers," reportedly then left the scene.
"I'm in the military. I wanted to get a picture with Gucci Mane," Lettley told Atlanta's WSB-TV. "I was speaking to the security guard, and Gucci Mane hit me in the head with a bottle."
Following the incident, Lettley was rushed to nearby Grady Memorial Hospital and treated for his wounds, which required 10 stitches, the New York Daily News reported. Lettley returned from a tour of Afghanistan in October.
Police later issued an arrest warrant on suspicion of aggravated assault for Gucci Mane, who was ultimately arrested in late March.
This is hardly the first time Gucci Mane has run into trouble with the law. In 2005, he was charged with murder after a group of men attacked him at a house in Decatur, Ga., and the body of one of the attackers was subsequently discovered behind a nearby middle school.
Ultimately, the murder charge was dropped due to lack of evidence and Davis’ plea of self-defense, MTV said.
In 2010, Gucci Mane was arrested in Atlanta for “driving on the wrong side of the road, running a red light or stop sign, damage to government property, obstruction, no license, no proof of insurance and other traffic charges,” according to AllHipHop.com. During the arrest, Gucci Mane was subdued with pepper spray.
In 2011, the rapper faced a number of charges, including two counts of alleged aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display