2013 NBA Mock Draft: Nerlens Noel, Cody Zeller, Michael Carter-Williams, Ben McLemore Projected Lottery Picks?
April 11, 2013 6:45 AM EST
Indiana sophomore center Cody Zeller and Syracuse guard Michael Carter-Willaims became the latest big names to declare for the 2013 NBA Draft Wednesday, and where they and the slew of talented players in the country suit up next season will be decided in just over two months.
Zeller joined teammate Victor Oladipo, Kansas multi-threat shooter Ben McLemore, Ohio State’s Deshaun Thomas, and Kentucky’s Archie Goodwin as underclassman to forgo the rest of their college careers for a shot at NBA stardom.
The 6-foot-5 sophomore Carter-Williams is hoping to parlay his strong showing in the NCAA Tournament into a lottery selection.
Thus far 22 underclassmen have officially declared for the draft, including five freshmen. The jury is still out on whether or not Michigan sophomore guard Trey Burke and UCLA freshman small forward Shabazz Muhummad will go pro.
Injured Kentucky freshman block machine Nerlens Noel has not officially declared, but the torn ACL that kept him out of the last two months of the season has apparently had no ill affect on his draft stock according to most experts, and he was widely considered a “one-and-done” player before his first game at Rupp Arena.
Before the season began the 6-foot-11 Noel’s uncanny ability to swat anything within five feet of the basket was the main reason he was considered a near lock for the No. 1 overall pick in a what has been called a “weak” draft class. Scouts have looked past Noel’s limited offensive game in favor of his size and ability to run the floor much like last year’s top selection, Anthony Davis.
Who lands the top pick could have more to do with Noel’s final destination than his injury. The 18-60 Charlotte Bobcats are in need of a center, but could also use a guard like McLemore, or a hot-shooting forward along the lines of UNLV’s Anthony Bennett. Orlando, Phoenix, and Cleveland also have multiple issues that can't be addressed with one pick morphing into an All-Star.
Below is a mock draft that addresses overall talent, but also team needs and accounts for players who have not yet officially declared. The draft order is based on current team records, and we won’t know the actual order until May 21.
1) Charlotte Bobcats, C, Nerlens Noel, Kentucky
2) Orlando Magic, SG, Ben McLemore, Kansas
3) Phoenix Suns, PG, Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State
4) Cleveland Cavaliers, PF, Anthony Bennett, UNLV
5) Detroit Pistons, SG, Victor Oladipo, Indiana
6) New Orleans Hornets, SF, Shabazz Muhammad, UCLA
7) Sacramento Kings, PG, Trey Burke, Indiana
8) Oklahoma City Thunder (via Toronto Raptors), PF, Mitch McGary, Michigan
9) Washington Wizards, SF, Otto Porter, Georgetown
10) Minnesota Timberwolves, SG, Gary Harris, Michigan State
11) Philadelphia 76ers, C, Cody Zeller, Indiana
12) Portland Trailblazers, C, Alex Len, Maryland
13) Dallas Mavericks, PG, Michael Carter-Williams, Syracuse
14) Phoenix Suns (via Los Angeles Lakers), C, Kelly Olynyk, Gonzaga
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown