2013 NBA Mock Draft: Nerlens Noel, Cody Zeller, Michael Carter-Williams, Ben McLemore Projected Lottery Picks?
April 11, 2013 6:45 AM EST
Indiana sophomore center Cody Zeller and Syracuse guard Michael Carter-Willaims became the latest big names to declare for the 2013 NBA Draft Wednesday, and where they and the slew of talented players in the country suit up next season will be decided in just over two months.
Zeller joined teammate Victor Oladipo, Kansas multi-threat shooter Ben McLemore, Ohio State’s Deshaun Thomas, and Kentucky’s Archie Goodwin as underclassman to forgo the rest of their college careers for a shot at NBA stardom.
The 6-foot-5 sophomore Carter-Williams is hoping to parlay his strong showing in the NCAA Tournament into a lottery selection.
Thus far 22 underclassmen have officially declared for the draft, including five freshmen. The jury is still out on whether or not Michigan sophomore guard Trey Burke and UCLA freshman small forward Shabazz Muhummad will go pro.
Injured Kentucky freshman block machine Nerlens Noel has not officially declared, but the torn ACL that kept him out of the last two months of the season has apparently had no ill affect on his draft stock according to most experts, and he was widely considered a “one-and-done” player before his first game at Rupp Arena.
Before the season began the 6-foot-11 Noel’s uncanny ability to swat anything within five feet of the basket was the main reason he was considered a near lock for the No. 1 overall pick in a what has been called a “weak” draft class. Scouts have looked past Noel’s limited offensive game in favor of his size and ability to run the floor much like last year’s top selection, Anthony Davis.
Who lands the top pick could have more to do with Noel’s final destination than his injury. The 18-60 Charlotte Bobcats are in need of a center, but could also use a guard like McLemore, or a hot-shooting forward along the lines of UNLV’s Anthony Bennett. Orlando, Phoenix, and Cleveland also have multiple issues that can't be addressed with one pick morphing into an All-Star.
Below is a mock draft that addresses overall talent, but also team needs and accounts for players who have not yet officially declared. The draft order is based on current team records, and we won’t know the actual order until May 21.
1) Charlotte Bobcats, C, Nerlens Noel, Kentucky
2) Orlando Magic, SG, Ben McLemore, Kansas
3) Phoenix Suns, PG, Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State
4) Cleveland Cavaliers, PF, Anthony Bennett, UNLV
5) Detroit Pistons, SG, Victor Oladipo, Indiana
6) New Orleans Hornets, SF, Shabazz Muhammad, UCLA
7) Sacramento Kings, PG, Trey Burke, Indiana
8) Oklahoma City Thunder (via Toronto Raptors), PF, Mitch McGary, Michigan
9) Washington Wizards, SF, Otto Porter, Georgetown
10) Minnesota Timberwolves, SG, Gary Harris, Michigan State
11) Philadelphia 76ers, C, Cody Zeller, Indiana
12) Portland Trailblazers, C, Alex Len, Maryland
13) Dallas Mavericks, PG, Michael Carter-Williams, Syracuse
14) Phoenix Suns (via Los Angeles Lakers), C, Kelly Olynyk, Gonzaga
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet