Tsinghua University Bodybuilding Contest: Smart Guys Have Muscles Too [PHOTOS]
By Yang Geng and Sophie Song | April 11, 2013 2:20 AM EST
On Monday, a set of photos of the 2013 “Annual Ma Yuehan Bodybuilding Contest” posted on Renren.com (the Chinese equivalent of Facebook) showed Tsinghua students, who have a reputation for academic excellence, showing off their muscles. Since then the photos have been trending all over social media, attracting far more attention than Tsinghua’s press conference on Tuesday announcing an important scientific discovery.
Each year on April 16, Tsinghua hosts its annual “Ma Yuehan Cup”, the school’s largest sporting event. “The bodybuilding contest, which has been taking place annually for more than ten years, is a part of the major event,” contest judge Ju Lining said. “Every year, undergraduate and graduate students participate. This year we had foreign students as well.”
“Each year’s winner becomes very popular on campus,” Ju said.
From the photos, it can be seen that the contestants painted their bodies a deep tan, and imitated poses from professional bodybuilding contests, showing off their pectorals, biceps and other muscles. However, from their glasses and uniform crew cuts, it is not hard to see how they usually look.
“In high school under intense pressure to study, students are usually too thin because they don’t have time to exercise. Some students begin to build up their physiques in college,” Ju said. “In fact, incoming college students in China have never been in great shape, because their priority in high school was to study and do well on their college entrance exam.”
These bodybuilding pictures generated media attention precisely because they broke with public’s traditional view of college students as weak and studious.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More