Ford EcoSport India Launch Confirmed for Mid-June: Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | April 10, 2013 4:36 PM EST
The much awaited compact EcoSport SUV from Ford will finally arrive in India by mid-June.
According to CarTrade, the car will launch in India by the mid of June soon after the completion of Ford India's Urban Discoveries campaign.
"American auto major Ford has announced that it would launch the much-awaited compact Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) Ford EcoSport by the middle of June 2013," CarTrade reported.
As part of Ford India's 12-city campaign road show, EcoSport will be displayed at 12 selected cities across the country, out of which Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, Chandigarh and Kochi have already held public viewing events of the vehicle. According to reports, the campaign will mark its end by the last week of May.
Speaking about the campaign, Joginder Singh, Ford India President and Managing Director said, "Consumers across these 12 cities will have an opportunity to see, touch and feel their EcoSport every weekend leading up to the launch. We have taken a step further by giving them an opportunity to drive and experience compact Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) out in the open and share their product experience."
In India, the vehicle is expected to come with a 1-litre EcoBoost petrol engine that will give 120bhp power, or the 1.5L diesel engine which would offer 90bhp.
The petrol EcoBoost EcoSport is expected to deliver a mileage of 17 kilometres per litre. Last week, the Economic Times citing an insider reported that the base model of EcoSport will be priced ₹5.9 - ₹6 lakh and the high-end variants will be priced in the ₹9 lakh bracket.
The SUV is likely to be positioned as a compact sub-4 metre SUV, which would exempt it from additional excise duty. Ford's new SUV will be pitted against Renault Duster, Mahindra Quanto and Premier Rio. Apparently, Ford is looking to challenge the premium hatchback or compact sedan market by pricing EcoSport lower than the top variants of Maruti's DZire and Hyundai's i20.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Malaysian Airlines Ukraine Tragedy Hits Asian Stock Markets
- New Zealand's Largest Snack Food Company Bought for NZ$700 Million
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June