6.3 Magnitude Quake Strikes Near Iran's Bushehr Nuclear City; 37 Dead, 850 Injured
By Ankita Mehta | April 10, 2013 4:30 PM EST
A quake of magnitude 6.3 struck near Iran's only nuclear plant in the city of Bushehr on Tuesday, killing 37 people and injuring 850 others.
The quake destroyed several homes and two small villages on Tuesday night, but the nuclear plant was not damaged.
"Due to the intensity of this earthquake, this tragedy has deepened and we have seen the destruction of many homes in the region, the deaths of 37 people and more than 850 injured," the governor of Bushehr province, Fereydoun Hassanvand, told Mehr news agency.
The earthquake was centered at about 94km (58 miles) of South East of Bandar Bushehr, 103km (64mi) WSW of Firuzabad and 129km (80mi) South of Kazerun, the US Geological Survey (USGS) reported.
The 6.3 magnitude quake occurred at 11:52 GMT at a depth of 10km (6.2 miles), according to USGS.
Mahmoud Jafari, the nuclear plant chief, told Mehr news that the plant could resist earthquakes of up to magnitude eight.
Ebrahim Darvishi, governor of the worst-hit district, Shonbeh, said that water flow and electricity lines were cut in many places due to the quake.
The earthquake was also felt across the Persian Gulf in Qatar, Bahrain and Dubai, where offices were evacuated immediately as a precaution.
Several houses made of mud-brick in rural areas of the province collapsed in the quake. According to Hassanvand, nearly 700 homes were destroyed on Tuesday.
"We could clearly feel the earthquake," Nikoo of Bushehr, who only wanted to give her first name, told Reuters. "The windows and chandeliers all shook."
According to Reuters, residents were traumatized by at least 16 aftershocks after initial quake.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Lightning Strikes Twice: Australian Woman Had Daughter in MH17 & Brother in MH370
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People