6.3 Magnitude Quake Strikes Near Iran's Bushehr Nuclear City; 37 Dead, 850 Injured
By Ankita Mehta | April 10, 2013 4:30 PM EST
A quake of magnitude 6.3 struck near Iran's only nuclear plant in the city of Bushehr on Tuesday, killing 37 people and injuring 850 others.
The quake destroyed several homes and two small villages on Tuesday night, but the nuclear plant was not damaged.
"Due to the intensity of this earthquake, this tragedy has deepened and we have seen the destruction of many homes in the region, the deaths of 37 people and more than 850 injured," the governor of Bushehr province, Fereydoun Hassanvand, told Mehr news agency.
The earthquake was centered at about 94km (58 miles) of South East of Bandar Bushehr, 103km (64mi) WSW of Firuzabad and 129km (80mi) South of Kazerun, the US Geological Survey (USGS) reported.
The 6.3 magnitude quake occurred at 11:52 GMT at a depth of 10km (6.2 miles), according to USGS.
Mahmoud Jafari, the nuclear plant chief, told Mehr news that the plant could resist earthquakes of up to magnitude eight.
Ebrahim Darvishi, governor of the worst-hit district, Shonbeh, said that water flow and electricity lines were cut in many places due to the quake.
The earthquake was also felt across the Persian Gulf in Qatar, Bahrain and Dubai, where offices were evacuated immediately as a precaution.
Several houses made of mud-brick in rural areas of the province collapsed in the quake. According to Hassanvand, nearly 700 homes were destroyed on Tuesday.
"We could clearly feel the earthquake," Nikoo of Bushehr, who only wanted to give her first name, told Reuters. "The windows and chandeliers all shook."
According to Reuters, residents were traumatized by at least 16 aftershocks after initial quake.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Top 5 Halloween 2014 Costume Ideas For Teen Boys
- ISIS Parades 30 Sunni Tribesmen Before Shooting Them Dead In Iraqi Town
- Video Showing Woman Getting Sexually Harassed on New York Streets Goes Viral
- Early Heat Wave Breaks Records In Australia; Lighting Storms Spark Bushfires In Queensland [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight