Disney Layoffs To See 150 Film Studio Employees Out Of Work As Media Company Focuses More On Digital Distribution
By Carey Vanderborg | April 9, 2013 10:38 PM EST
Citing sources close to the situation, the report said the layoffs will be particularly focused on home entertainment as the company adjusts to industry-wide declines in DVD sales. The Burbank-based company is reportedly focusing more on digital distribution, which requires fewer people.
While the number of pink slips in the works is less than 5 percent of the studio staff, other areas expected to see cuts include the technology and distribution division. As the multinational mass media corporation prepares to release just 10 films this year -- five fewer than in 2009 – a smaller staff is needed, both for managing the distribution, as well as marketing.
This could be just the beginning of a series of cuts for Disney, as the company completes an internal audit looking for areas where it could make cost cuts to adjust to shifting business models.
According to CNBC, Lucasfilm last week, shut down its traditional video game production and laid off about 150 people. Additionally, Disney Interactive laid off about 50 employees last year as it shut down a Texas game studio.
But while layoffs might seem like a bad business indicator, in Disney’s case, it is quite the opposite. As Disney shares are trading at an all-time high and with the company reporting record results in its last fiscal year, sources believe that CEO Bob Iger and CFO Jay Rasulo are looking for inefficiencies to maintain the company's growth.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- LeBron James Was Affected By Miami Heat’s Decision To Release Mike Miller
- Twitter War Erupts After EU Commissioner Calls Celebrities In Nude Selfie Leaked Photos ‘Dumb’
- 'The Amazing Race' Season 25 Spoilers: Episode 2 ‘When You Gotta Go, You Gotta Go’ Airs On Oct. 3, 2014, The 10 Teams Will Race Around The UK For Leg 2 [WATCH VIDEOS]
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Finale Spoiler: Blake Proposes To Top Favourite Of Season 2
- Portland Trail Blazers Pick Up Fourth-Year Option On Point Guard Damian Lillard
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money