Australians Told to Get Shot as Doctors Forecast Severe Flu Season
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 9, 2013 12:19 PM EST
Australian doctors have advised residents, particularly the very young and the elderly, to already have their shots as they forecast a severe flu season for this winter.
More than any occasion, "now is the best time" to get vaccinated, John Dyson-Berry, a Mildura GP said, so as to reduce the risk of contracting or spreading the flu.
"When you get vaccinated, you're not just helping yourself and your family but everyone around you by stopping the spread of disease," Brian Owler, Australian Medical Association (AMA) NSW President, said in a statement on Monday.
Australian doctors and other medical professionals have forecast a severe flu season, following the trend of the northern hemisphere.
"The flu season mirrors the northern hemisphere's last winter and that was particularly bad," Dr Dyson-Berry said.
"The flu vaccination we get is about 97 per cent from the northern hemisphere flu season."
People aged over 65, indigenous Australians 15 and over, pregnant women and people with specific chronic diseases could get the flu vaccine for free, Mr Owler said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Update: Death Toll Reaches 2,461; US$1B Is Needed To Fight It, Says UN
- BC Teachers’ Strike Reaches Tentative Deal With Government, Date of Class Resumptions Still Not Sure
- Australia To Lose Hundreds Of Billions Worth Of Infrastructure Due To Rising Sea Levels
- Security for Pope Francis' Albania Trip At Status Quo, Won’t Be Reinforced Despite ISIS Threat – Vatican
- Air France Pilots’ Strike: Only 40% of Scheduled Wednesday Flights Will Operate
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone
- iPhone 6 Plus Phablet Features Only 1 GB RAM