Australians Told to Get Shot as Doctors Forecast Severe Flu Season
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 9, 2013 12:19 PM EST
Australian doctors have advised residents, particularly the very young and the elderly, to already have their shots as they forecast a severe flu season for this winter.
More than any occasion, "now is the best time" to get vaccinated, John Dyson-Berry, a Mildura GP said, so as to reduce the risk of contracting or spreading the flu.
"When you get vaccinated, you're not just helping yourself and your family but everyone around you by stopping the spread of disease," Brian Owler, Australian Medical Association (AMA) NSW President, said in a statement on Monday.
Australian doctors and other medical professionals have forecast a severe flu season, following the trend of the northern hemisphere.
"The flu season mirrors the northern hemisphere's last winter and that was particularly bad," Dr Dyson-Berry said.
"The flu vaccination we get is about 97 per cent from the northern hemisphere flu season."
People aged over 65, indigenous Australians 15 and over, pregnant women and people with specific chronic diseases could get the flu vaccine for free, Mr Owler said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Muslim Leaders Refuse to Approve Tony Abbott’s Terrorism Law
- American Doctor Dr Kent Brantly Survives Deadly Ebola, Released from Hospital, Sent Home
- Australian Tax Office Bitcoin Guidelines a 'Disappointment'; Virtual Currency Not Treated As Money
- Medicinal or Otherwise, Canadian Doctors Oppose Marijuana Smoking
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch