Australians Told to Get Shot as Doctors Forecast Severe Flu Season
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 9, 2013 12:19 PM EST
Australian doctors have advised residents, particularly the very young and the elderly, to already have their shots as they forecast a severe flu season for this winter.
More than any occasion, "now is the best time" to get vaccinated, John Dyson-Berry, a Mildura GP said, so as to reduce the risk of contracting or spreading the flu.
"When you get vaccinated, you're not just helping yourself and your family but everyone around you by stopping the spread of disease," Brian Owler, Australian Medical Association (AMA) NSW President, said in a statement on Monday.
Australian doctors and other medical professionals have forecast a severe flu season, following the trend of the northern hemisphere.
"The flu season mirrors the northern hemisphere's last winter and that was particularly bad," Dr Dyson-Berry said.
"The flu vaccination we get is about 97 per cent from the northern hemisphere flu season."
People aged over 65, indigenous Australians 15 and over, pregnant women and people with specific chronic diseases could get the flu vaccine for free, Mr Owler said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’