Businessman George Soros Blames Euro Crisis for Turning Gold into an Unsafe Haven
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 9, 2013 9:11 AM EST
Businessman George Soros is blaming the euro crisis in 2012 for making gold an unsafe haven for investors. Since October, gold prices had been on a downtrend and last week the yellow metal for June delivery, the most actively traded contract, hit a nine-month low of $1,553.50 a troy ounce on the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange.
He explained to the decline of gold as storage of value to people selling their gold when the euro crisis hit the bloc in 2012.
"So gold went down together with everything else ... Gold was destroyed as a safe haven, proved to be unsafe. Because of the disappointment, most people are reducing their holdings of gold," The South China Morning Post quoted Mr Soros.
However, he said central banks will continue to purchase the yellow metal, so people should not expect gold prices to dip drastically. He said a looming crisis would cause gold prices to move up or down, making gold prices very volatile reckoned on a daily basis, but lacks trend on a longer-term basis.
Besides the euro crisis, gold experts attribute the dampened price to a record-breaking rally in U.S. equities that lured investors toward riskier assets and away from precious metals.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 18, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 18, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 17, 2014
- Financial Intelligence Agency Suspends Sydney Remittance Firm Over Suspicions It Is Used To Finance Terrorism In Middle East
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 17, 2014
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone