Businessman George Soros Blames Euro Crisis for Turning Gold into an Unsafe Haven
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 9, 2013 9:11 AM EST
Businessman George Soros is blaming the euro crisis in 2012 for making gold an unsafe haven for investors. Since October, gold prices had been on a downtrend and last week the yellow metal for June delivery, the most actively traded contract, hit a nine-month low of $1,553.50 a troy ounce on the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange.
He explained to the decline of gold as storage of value to people selling their gold when the euro crisis hit the bloc in 2012.
"So gold went down together with everything else ... Gold was destroyed as a safe haven, proved to be unsafe. Because of the disappointment, most people are reducing their holdings of gold," The South China Morning Post quoted Mr Soros.
However, he said central banks will continue to purchase the yellow metal, so people should not expect gold prices to dip drastically. He said a looming crisis would cause gold prices to move up or down, making gold prices very volatile reckoned on a daily basis, but lacks trend on a longer-term basis.
Besides the euro crisis, gold experts attribute the dampened price to a record-breaking rally in U.S. equities that lured investors toward riskier assets and away from precious metals.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- While Asian Property Markets Are Cooling, 92% Of Philippine Real Estate Agents & Brokers Are Positive About Next 12 Months
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon November 27, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning November 28, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon November 28, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday November 28, 2014
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones