Businessman George Soros Blames Euro Crisis for Turning Gold into an Unsafe Haven
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 9, 2013 9:11 AM EST
Businessman George Soros is blaming the euro crisis in 2012 for making gold an unsafe haven for investors. Since October, gold prices had been on a downtrend and last week the yellow metal for June delivery, the most actively traded contract, hit a nine-month low of $1,553.50 a troy ounce on the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange.
He explained to the decline of gold as storage of value to people selling their gold when the euro crisis hit the bloc in 2012.
"So gold went down together with everything else ... Gold was destroyed as a safe haven, proved to be unsafe. Because of the disappointment, most people are reducing their holdings of gold," The South China Morning Post quoted Mr Soros.
However, he said central banks will continue to purchase the yellow metal, so people should not expect gold prices to dip drastically. He said a looming crisis would cause gold prices to move up or down, making gold prices very volatile reckoned on a daily basis, but lacks trend on a longer-term basis.
Besides the euro crisis, gold experts attribute the dampened price to a record-breaking rally in U.S. equities that lured investors toward riskier assets and away from precious metals.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports