Hit-and-Run Case: Salman Khan's Appeal Deferred to 29 April; Will Actor Get Relief?
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | April 8, 2013 9:32 PM EST
A sessions court has once again adjourned the hearing of Bollywood actor Salman Khan's appeal in connection with the 2002 hit-and-run case.
Salman had appealed to the Sessions court against a magistrate's order to charge him with "culpable homicide not amounting to murder." The actor was supposed to make his appearance before the Sessions court on 25 March, but he did not appear saying that he did not receive any summons from the court.
Following this, the court deferred the hearing on his appeal to 8 April (Monday). But the hearing was once again postponed to 29 April as Sessions Judge U B Hejib was on leave.
In 2002, a land cruiser allegedly driven by the actor ran over five people, who were sleeping on the pavement outside a bakery on Pali Hill Road in Bandra in the wee hours of 28 September, 2002. A 38-year-old man was killed and four others were injured in the incident.
Salman was earlier tried for rash and negligent driving at the Magistrates court. After probing 17 witnesses, the magistrate invoked the charge of "culpable homicide not amounting to murder" against the actor and transferred the case to the Sessions court for a retrial.
But Salman has argued that the magistrate has erred in invoking fresh charges which comes under Section 304 part II of IPC. Offences committed under this section would attract seven years of jail term.
Legal issues seem to haunt the "Dabaangg" star who is also facing trouble with another case - poaching of two endangered blackbucks during the shooting of Bollywood film "Hum Sath Sath Hain" in 1998.
A Jodhpur court revised the charges against Salman Khan and four other actors including Saif Ali khan, Sonali Bendre, Tabu and Neelam in connection with the blackbuck case. The next hearing of the case has been adjourned to 27 April.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Details of John Travolta’s Gay Relationship w/ Pilot to be Heard in Court
- 600 Videos Show Babies Raped by 32-year-old Home Carer
- AU’s Anti-Piracy Law is a Hollywood’s Wish List Coming True
- ACT Court Finds Former Parliament Speaker Peter Slipper Guilty of Dishonesty for Charging Wine Tour Cab Fare to Australian Taxpayers
- Keith Urban’s Concert Sends Dozens of Fans in Hospital Over Alcohol-Related Issues
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]