Man United and Man City in Summer Race for Argentina Midfielder
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | April 6, 2013 11:29 PM EST
Premier League leaders Manchester United and local rivals Manchester City are both chasing AS Roma star Erik Lamela, according to the Express. The 21-year-old Argentine international midfielder has had an exceptional season with the Serie A club, scoring 13 times from 25 league appearances.
It is believed City boss Roberto Mancini was in the Italian capital recently, to personally scout the young South American, who is contracted to the Giallorossi till 2016. As far as United's interest goes, the player's agent, Pablo Sabbag, has been quoted as denying any knowledge of Sir Alex Ferguson monitoring his client.
The Etihad club have Spanish international David Silva and Frenchman Samir Nasri as options in the playmaker role. However, the latter has failed to establish himself at the club this season and given a deteriorating relationship with Mancini, is likely to on his way out of the club ahead of next season.
SAF, on the other hand, has Japanese international Shinji Kagawa leading a fairly long list of attacking options but there are question marks over several of those options' futures. Anderson, for example, remains on the fringes of the first team at Old Trafford, a situation compounded by poor form and injury worries.
All of that means the Brazilian is reportedly ready to consider a move away, in search of regular football and a shot at making the Brazilian national side for the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
That leaves attacking options like Antonio Valencia, Ashley Young and Nani, all of whom are more usually deployed on the wings and, in any case, have doubts over their future as well. Veteran Paul Scholes, for all his vision and passing ability, is 38 years old and fellow legend, Ryan Giggs, is 39.
United are, therefore, a little light in attacking midfield options and for that reason a move for Lamela is likely to be well received by fans. The Premier League duo will have to move fast though, with the Express also crediting Spanish giants Real Madrid and Barcelona with an interest in the player.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28