Man United and Man City in Summer Race for Argentina Midfielder
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | April 6, 2013 11:29 PM EST
Premier League leaders Manchester United and local rivals Manchester City are both chasing AS Roma star Erik Lamela, according to the Express. The 21-year-old Argentine international midfielder has had an exceptional season with the Serie A club, scoring 13 times from 25 league appearances.
It is believed City boss Roberto Mancini was in the Italian capital recently, to personally scout the young South American, who is contracted to the Giallorossi till 2016. As far as United's interest goes, the player's agent, Pablo Sabbag, has been quoted as denying any knowledge of Sir Alex Ferguson monitoring his client.
The Etihad club have Spanish international David Silva and Frenchman Samir Nasri as options in the playmaker role. However, the latter has failed to establish himself at the club this season and given a deteriorating relationship with Mancini, is likely to on his way out of the club ahead of next season.
SAF, on the other hand, has Japanese international Shinji Kagawa leading a fairly long list of attacking options but there are question marks over several of those options' futures. Anderson, for example, remains on the fringes of the first team at Old Trafford, a situation compounded by poor form and injury worries.
All of that means the Brazilian is reportedly ready to consider a move away, in search of regular football and a shot at making the Brazilian national side for the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
That leaves attacking options like Antonio Valencia, Ashley Young and Nani, all of whom are more usually deployed on the wings and, in any case, have doubts over their future as well. Veteran Paul Scholes, for all his vision and passing ability, is 38 years old and fellow legend, Ryan Giggs, is 39.
United are, therefore, a little light in attacking midfield options and for that reason a move for Lamela is likely to be well received by fans. The Premier League duo will have to move fast though, with the Express also crediting Spanish giants Real Madrid and Barcelona with an interest in the player.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date