Superman's Cape and Kim Kardashian Gown Go Under Hammer in Hollywood
By Timur Moon | April 6, 2013 11:01 PM EST
A Superman costume worn by Christopher Reeve - complete with red underwear worn on the outside - is among the vintage memorabilia going under the hammer at an auction in Los Angeles.
The actor, who died in 2004 after being paralysed in a horse-riding accident, famously sported the distinctive red and blue ensemble in 1987's Superman IV: The Quest for Peace.
Among the other lots are a laser gun used by William Shatner in his role as Star Trek's Captain Kirk; a biking costume signed by the daredevil stuntsman Evel Knievel; the gown that Glenn Close wore to the Oscars in 1990; a cocktail dress that belonged to Marilyn Monroe; and a bomber jacket belonging to Steve McQueen.
The two-day sale, which began on Friday 5 April, takes place at Julien's Auctions in Beverly Hills.
Shatner's phaser gun is estimated at $60,000 (£39,400), while the Superman costume is valued at £20,000.
"There are some beautiful couture outfits worn by Brittany Murphy, and an outfit worn by Kim Kardashian," said Julien's executive director Martin Nolan.
He estimated most items will fetch up to three times their starting price.
Recalling a past sale at Julien's, an auction house noted for its celebrity events, Nolan added: "I remember one time when we were working with Cher, and Cher asked us, you know how can she make herself more valuable.
"Darren Julien, the president of the company said to Cher, 'Well, if you die, then you're more collectible,' but obviously, thank God Cher is still with us and still among the living."
Collector Michael Eisenberg said that amassing Hollywood memorabilia had been an interest since before the days when items fetched a high price.
"When I first got into it, it was, 'come and get this crap'," he said. "The studios didn't want it, it was taking up space. They were paying taxes on the asset to carry it. They were doing controlled burns, they were taking stuff out to the desert and burning it."
He said that an outing with one collector's item had landed him in a spot of bother.
"I got pulled over driving the Batmobile. It's not licensed. There are no plates. It's kind of hard to register a Batmobile.
"I got it out, took it on Sunset Boulevard and within 10 minutes, I was pulled over. I thought it was going to go really bad, but it was more than a photo op. I think everybody from the department had come out to be photographed with the car."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- New Zealand Drafts IWC Resolution to Stop Japanese Whalers from Hunting in 2015
- Pacific Islands Forum Delegates Appeal for Changes to Climate Policies, Better Marine Life Protection
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date