Sydney Train Commuters Advised to Brace for Travel Delays
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 5, 2013 2:07 PM EST
Train commuters coming from the northern side of Sydney going into the central district and vice versa have been advised to squeeze in extended time in their travel itineraries after the Newcastle and Central Coast Lines got partially closed due to "urgent overhead wiring repairs."
Transportation authorities meantime have deployed buses between Hornsby and Epping to address the commuter backlog.
"Passengers that normally travel on the Northern Line are advised to catch a replacement bus to Epping and then continue on a train towards the city or catch a train to Hornsby and travel via the North Shore Line," a spokeswoman from the Transport Management Centre (TMC) said in a statement on Friday morning.
"Urgent overhead wiring repairs" are currently taking place at Normanhurst when a train driver reported losing power at about 5.30am (AEDT). Although he was still able to restart the train, and was able to still travel up until Epping, the train however tore five kilometres of overhead wiring.
"We'll be running trains to the north, there will be some delays because of congestion and anyone going to the Central Coast or Newcastle, listen to announcements, look at websites because your trains will be late, they'll be leaving out of their normal locations but they may be late or out of timetable order," Tony Eid from Railcorp said.
About 100 people were evacuated from the train. No injuries were reported.
TMC announced trains from Newcastle and the Central Coast will make additional stops at Chatswood and then additional stops at North Ryde, Macquarie Park and Macquarie University.
"Passengers on the North Shore line may experience an increase in journey time, however a frequent train service is still operating," the TMC spokeswoman said.
TMC did not give any assurance as to when normal services will resume.
Passengers are advised to check indicator boards, listen to announcements and allow extra travel time.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How