American Idol 2013 Top 6 Revealed: 5 Reasons Burnell Taylor Lost to Lazaro Arbos
By Arlene Paredes | April 5, 2013 1:54 PM EST
American Idol 2013 Top 6 has been revealed. All the girls in the Top 10 remain as strong contenders for the Idol title. The past weeks saw only the boys going home one by one. Burnell Taylor, who made his first misstep Wednesday, is the latest casualty. Lazaro Arbos is now the only male contender left in the competition. How did Arbos beat Taylor despite forgetting lyrics and a terrible performance a week ago?
For the second time this season, American Idol host Ryan Seacrest announced the Top 3 in no particular order. After the first week of public votes, the Top 3 were: Angie Miller, Candice Glover and Kree Harrison. This time, it's Miller, Amber Holcomb, and (drumrolls) Arbos.
These contestants comprise the American Idol Season 12 Top 6: Arbos, Miller, Holcomb, Glover, Harrison, and Janelle Arthur. Bon Jovi's "You Give Love a Bad Name" clearly didn't work for Taylor. But Arbos made more missteps in the past. Case in point: "In My Life" (The Beatles) and "Breakaway" (Kelly Clarkson). How did Arbos make it in the Top 3?
Here are 5 reasons Arbos is able to stay on American Idol 2013 despite dishing mediocre to weak performances week after week:
1. VotefortheWorst.com criticisms. VFTW is notorious for slamming the weakest contestants on the show. Voters know they have to be more aggressive in casting votes once their favorites are picked on by the site.
2. A bottom 3 landing. Lazaro landed in the bottom 3 with Devin Velez and Taylor after the Top 8 performance last week. Naturally, Lazaro's supporters vowed never to let that happen again.
3. Underdog impression. Some fans find inspiration from archetypal underdogs. All things set aside, Arbos has the weakest vocal powers among the Top 10 finalists. Here's someone who should be unlikely to win, but he's got potential. So he got the votes of those who simply want to believe in him and the underdogs he represent.
4. Screen time and regional support. Between Taylor and Arbos, the latter enjoyed more screen time on Idol up until the most recent live round. Taylor had the support of Katrina survivors. But Cuban-born Arbos got the votes of those living the American Dream, as well as those inspired by his story.
5. The speech condition. The way Arbos mans up to his speech problem is a truly inspiring story. It's inspiring to see him stutter one moment and sing his heart out the next. It makes people look at their own problems differently. It's hard to compete with that.
For the reasons mentioned above, Janelle Arthur, the least popular among the girls, could be in trouble next week. American Idol judges were not unanimous in voting to save Taylor. Perhaps they could all stand behind Arthur next week just to be fair to Arthur (with respect to the odds against her). The judges get their last chance to save an Idol hopeful next week.
American Idol 2013: Kree Harrison Shines on Rock 'n' Roll Night, Burnell Taylor at Risk? [Read Here]
Grey's Anatomy Season 9 Finale: 'Shocking' Tragedy for Alex Karev or Jackson Avery? [Read Here]
Glee Star Cory Monteith Draws Twitter Hugs, Glee Cast Got Finn's Back #WeSupportCory [Read Here]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2