Roger Ebert Gets Surprising Obituary From The Onion: Film Critic 'Hails Human Existence As 'A Triumph'
By Maria Vultaggio | April 5, 2013 11:29 AM EST
The headline of the Chicago Sun-Times critic’s obituary read: “Roger Ebert Hails Human Existence ‘A Triumph.’”
Twitter had been sending their virtual respects all day long when it was reported that the 70-year-old had succumb to a long battle with cancers of the thyroid and salivary gland.
In his honor, the succinct Onion article read:
"Calling the overall human experience 'poignant,' thought-provoking,' and a 'complete tour de force,' film critic Roger Ebert praised existence Thursday as 'an audacious and thrilling triumph.' 'While not without its flaws, life, from birth to death, is a masterwork, and an uplifting journey that both touches the heart and challenges the mind,' said Ebert, adding that while the totality of all humankind is sometimes 'a mess in places,' it strives to be a magnum opus and, according to Ebert, largely succeeds at this goal. 'At times brutally sad, yet surprisingly funny, and always completely honest, I wholeheartedly recommend existence. If you haven’t experienced it yet, then what are you waiting for? It is not to be missed.' Ebert later said that while human existence’s running time was 'a little on the long side,' it could have gone on much, much longer and he would have been perfectly happy."
Some tweeters were pleased with what the news site had done to honor Ebert, especially since some of their current headlines say things like, “'Syrians' Lives Are Worthless,' Obama Tells Daughters Before Kissing Them Goodnight," "Confusing Roadside Memorial Features Bicycle," "Rotary Telephone, Jug Of Some Kind" and "Kim Jong-Un, Justin Timberlake Meet To Pick New Pope, According To Shameless Attempt To Increase Web Traffic."
Ebert was arguably the most recognizable film critic. He began his career in 1967 and rose to fame in the 1970s and '80s with his co-host, Gene Siskel, on television shows like “Sneak Previews,” “At the Movies With Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert” and “Siskel and Ebert at the Movies.”
In 1975 he became the first film critic to win a Pulitzer Prize in Criticism.
He continued to work until Tuesday, when he announced via Twitter he'd be lightening his work load after his cancer had returned.
Ebert is survived by his wife, Chaz Hammelsmith, a step-daughter and two step-grandchildren.
The following is some of the responses to the way The Onion handled Ebert’s passing:
— Phill Cameron (@phillcameron) April 4, 2013
The Onion's surprisingly touching obit to Roger Ebert onion.com/10wn74M
— Derek Thompson (@DKThomp) April 4, 2013
Well, this is the first time I cried at a piece in the Onion for real. Well done: theonion.com/articles/roger…
— dansinker (@dansinker) April 4, 2013
— Tasha Robinson (@TashaRobinson) April 4, 2013
— Stephon Johnson (@StephonJohnson8) April 4, 2013
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date