Roger Ebert Gets Surprising Obituary From The Onion: Film Critic 'Hails Human Existence As 'A Triumph'
By Maria Vultaggio | April 5, 2013 11:29 AM EST
The headline of the Chicago Sun-Times critic’s obituary read: “Roger Ebert Hails Human Existence ‘A Triumph.’”
Twitter had been sending their virtual respects all day long when it was reported that the 70-year-old had succumb to a long battle with cancers of the thyroid and salivary gland.
In his honor, the succinct Onion article read:
"Calling the overall human experience 'poignant,' thought-provoking,' and a 'complete tour de force,' film critic Roger Ebert praised existence Thursday as 'an audacious and thrilling triumph.' 'While not without its flaws, life, from birth to death, is a masterwork, and an uplifting journey that both touches the heart and challenges the mind,' said Ebert, adding that while the totality of all humankind is sometimes 'a mess in places,' it strives to be a magnum opus and, according to Ebert, largely succeeds at this goal. 'At times brutally sad, yet surprisingly funny, and always completely honest, I wholeheartedly recommend existence. If you haven’t experienced it yet, then what are you waiting for? It is not to be missed.' Ebert later said that while human existence’s running time was 'a little on the long side,' it could have gone on much, much longer and he would have been perfectly happy."
Some tweeters were pleased with what the news site had done to honor Ebert, especially since some of their current headlines say things like, “'Syrians' Lives Are Worthless,' Obama Tells Daughters Before Kissing Them Goodnight," "Confusing Roadside Memorial Features Bicycle," "Rotary Telephone, Jug Of Some Kind" and "Kim Jong-Un, Justin Timberlake Meet To Pick New Pope, According To Shameless Attempt To Increase Web Traffic."
Ebert was arguably the most recognizable film critic. He began his career in 1967 and rose to fame in the 1970s and '80s with his co-host, Gene Siskel, on television shows like “Sneak Previews,” “At the Movies With Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert” and “Siskel and Ebert at the Movies.”
In 1975 he became the first film critic to win a Pulitzer Prize in Criticism.
He continued to work until Tuesday, when he announced via Twitter he'd be lightening his work load after his cancer had returned.
Ebert is survived by his wife, Chaz Hammelsmith, a step-daughter and two step-grandchildren.
The following is some of the responses to the way The Onion handled Ebert’s passing:
— Phill Cameron (@phillcameron) April 4, 2013
The Onion's surprisingly touching obit to Roger Ebert onion.com/10wn74M
— Derek Thompson (@DKThomp) April 4, 2013
Well, this is the first time I cried at a piece in the Onion for real. Well done: theonion.com/articles/roger…
— dansinker (@dansinker) April 4, 2013
— Tasha Robinson (@TashaRobinson) April 4, 2013
— Stephon Johnson (@StephonJohnson8) April 4, 2013
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales