Stephen Lawrence Friend Duwayne Brooks to Take on London Knife Gangs
By Dominic Gover | April 5, 2013 5:28 AM EST
The man who saw Stephen Lawrence murdered by knife-wielding racists wants to be mayor of the inner-city borough of Lewisham and has vowed to take on knife gangs if he wins.
Duwayne Brooks, 38, was with Lawrence when he was stabbed to death by a gang in 1993.
The landmark case shocked the nation and triggered police reform after bungling officers failed to jail his killers for nearly 20 years.
Now Mr Brooks has told residents in the borough of Lewisham in south London that he will get tough with gangs on the streets. That would involved turning whole families out of their homes if a member of the household was involved in gangs.
The LIberal Democrat coucillor said tackling the borough's gang problem as "easy-peasy".
Suspected members of gangs would be sent a letter from Brooks after his election win, he revealed.
He said: "My aim is to ensure no parent has to get that dreaded phone call saying your child has been stabbed or caught in crossfire.
"Gang members will be told to come and see me," he said. "There will be two choices. One will be to engage and come on board and follow me to help make Lewisham a safer place. Or, if you want to continue in this gang stuff, then I'll get rid of you and your family."
Mr Brooks was 18-years-old when he and Lawrence were ambushed by a racist mob in Eltham, south east London, while standing at a bus stop.
Brooks fled the scene and turned round to see Stephen fall to the ground after running around 200 metres from the gang.
Brooks,38, wept in court at the trial of killers Gary Dobson and David Norris. He told the jury at the Old Bailey trial: "Blood was streaming out around his neck and through his jacket. He said one more time "Duwayne" and his voice was funny and he fell at that tree."
Dobson and Norris were found guilty of killing Lawrence, a promising student, and sentenced to 14 and 15 years jail respectively. A subsequent appeal failed.
Justice came 16 years after the collapse of private prosecution against the suspected killers, after Brooks' eveidence was ruled unreliable and inadmissible.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Prince Harry Reunites With Cressida Bonas On ‘Sex Tape’ Date Amid Dating Camilla Thurlow Reports
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III
- Avril Lavigne And Husband Chad Kroeger Call It Quits
- Trina Targets French Montana And Kardashian In A Song To Show What Happens To A Reject
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design