Rutgers Next Basketball Coach: Search Includes Dan Hurley, Lawrence Frank, Bobby Hurley To Replace Mike Rice?
By IB Times Staff Reporter | April 5, 2013 2:55 AM EST
A day removed from Mike Rice’s firing, and Rutgers is already on the hunt for its next men’s basketball head coach.
A video tape of Rice verbally and physically abusing players was aired Tuesday on ESPN, and eventually led to his firing Wednesday.
According to a report by Yahoo!Sports Adrian Wojnarowski and Pat Forde, Rutgers has identified Rhode Island head coach Dan Hurley and Lawrence Frank of the NBA’s Detroit Pistons as the top choices to replace Rice.
As a descendant of the famous New Jersey basketball family, Hurley is seen as an emerging coach, and could also rally the community around the university, with questions being fired at athletic director Tim Pernetti about why Rice wasn’t fired sooner for his outlandish behavior.
Rice’s beyond-rough coaching style didn’t produce results in the Scarlet Knight’s final season in the Big East before they move to the Big Ten. The team went 15-16 overall, with a 5-13 conference record. In three seasons, Rice produced consecutive sub-.500 results, going 44-51.
Hurley’s father, Bob, is already a member of the Hall Of Fame with his success at high school basketball national powerhouse St. Anthony’s in Jersey City, and his brother, Bobby, was one of the best players in the nation at Duke in the early 1990s.
After nine seasons at St. Benedict’s Prep in Newark, New Jersey, Hurley then spent two seasons at Wagner, amassing a 38-23 record, and just wrapped up his first season in Rhode Island with an 8-21 mark.
His deep ties to the New Jersey community may also give Hurley a leg up in recruiting a talent laden state that typically sees top players scatter across the country rather than play in front of a home crowd.
With Detroit heading for the NBA lottery once again, Frank may be enticed this time around. Yahoo! reported Frank was under consideration for the Rutgers job before they hired Rice, but ultimately decided to stay in the professional ranks. Earlier this season, Frank also went home to New Jersey with the permission from the Pistons due his wife, Susan, being ill.
Frank has worked the college sidelines before, making stops as an assistant in Tennessee and Marquette, then jumping to the NBA. In 2004 he was named the head coach of the New Jersey Nets, and won two Atlantic Division titles in seven seasons, before he was fired after starting the 2009-10 season 0-16.
Bobby Hurley may have wished he waited another week before he agreed to coach Buffalo. He was an assistant on Dan’s staff at Rhode Island before signing on with the Bulls for his first head coaching job.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display