Lakers Playoffs Prediction: Can L.A. Make The Postseason Over Utah?
April 4, 2013 7:31 AM EST
The Los Angeles Lakers are in a battle for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
L.A. is tied with the Utah Jazz, as both teams are 39-36 through the first five months of the 2012-2013 NBA season. The Jazz hold the tiebreaker, having won two of the three meetings between the two clubs.
Both teams have seven games remaining on their schedule. Which one has a better chance of claiming the eighth seed?
The Lakers have a very tough schedule down the stretch. Their final seven games include five against playoff teams. L.A. will face the Memphis Grizzlies, Los Angeles Clippers, Golden State Warriors, San Antonio Spurs and Houston Rockets.
Not only are those teams tough, but the Lakers have struggled against almost all of them. In 13 games this season games, L.A. is just 3-10 against those five opponents.
Utah’s schedule isn’t much easier. They are set to face four postseason teams in their final seven games. The Jazz will play the Oklahoma City Thunder, Denver Nuggets, Golden State Warriors and Memphis Grizzlies. They make up four of the top six seeds in the West.
Los Angeles, however, has the advantage of staying close to home the rest of the way. They will have to leave Staples Center just one more time in the regular season when they play against the Portland Trail Blazers. The Lakers are a completely different team at home, winning nine more games in front of their fans.
The Jazz are even worse on the road. The club has won 17 more games at home, where they have just three games remaining.
As both teams head into the final stretch of the season, the Jazz have the upper hand. If the Lakers and Jazz finish the year with the same record, L.A. will be left on the outside looking in.
After a strong stretch of games after the All-Star Break, the Lakers have come back to earth. Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol have just returned from injuries, and Dwight Howard has yet to play as consistently as he did in the past.
In their past five games, Utah has looked dominant, winning every contest by at least nine points. They may be rounding into form at the perfect time.
However, it would be hard to count out the Lakers. Bryant is still one of the best scorers in the NBA and the team’s home schedule could play a major factor in whether or not they make the playoffs.
Prediction: Lakers make playoffs
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- MH17: Shrapnel Hits Plane, Russia Calls for UN-led Investigation