Lakers Playoffs Prediction: Can L.A. Make The Postseason Over Utah?
April 4, 2013 7:31 AM EST
The Los Angeles Lakers are in a battle for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
L.A. is tied with the Utah Jazz, as both teams are 39-36 through the first five months of the 2012-2013 NBA season. The Jazz hold the tiebreaker, having won two of the three meetings between the two clubs.
Both teams have seven games remaining on their schedule. Which one has a better chance of claiming the eighth seed?
The Lakers have a very tough schedule down the stretch. Their final seven games include five against playoff teams. L.A. will face the Memphis Grizzlies, Los Angeles Clippers, Golden State Warriors, San Antonio Spurs and Houston Rockets.
Not only are those teams tough, but the Lakers have struggled against almost all of them. In 13 games this season games, L.A. is just 3-10 against those five opponents.
Utah’s schedule isn’t much easier. They are set to face four postseason teams in their final seven games. The Jazz will play the Oklahoma City Thunder, Denver Nuggets, Golden State Warriors and Memphis Grizzlies. They make up four of the top six seeds in the West.
Los Angeles, however, has the advantage of staying close to home the rest of the way. They will have to leave Staples Center just one more time in the regular season when they play against the Portland Trail Blazers. The Lakers are a completely different team at home, winning nine more games in front of their fans.
The Jazz are even worse on the road. The club has won 17 more games at home, where they have just three games remaining.
As both teams head into the final stretch of the season, the Jazz have the upper hand. If the Lakers and Jazz finish the year with the same record, L.A. will be left on the outside looking in.
After a strong stretch of games after the All-Star Break, the Lakers have come back to earth. Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol have just returned from injuries, and Dwight Howard has yet to play as consistently as he did in the past.
In their past five games, Utah has looked dominant, winning every contest by at least nine points. They may be rounding into form at the perfect time.
However, it would be hard to count out the Lakers. Bryant is still one of the best scorers in the NBA and the team’s home schedule could play a major factor in whether or not they make the playoffs.
Prediction: Lakers make playoffs
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Iggy Azalea Sex Tape: The Story So Far
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone