Lakers Playoffs Prediction: Can L.A. Make The Postseason Over Utah?
April 4, 2013 7:31 AM EST
The Los Angeles Lakers are in a battle for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
L.A. is tied with the Utah Jazz, as both teams are 39-36 through the first five months of the 2012-2013 NBA season. The Jazz hold the tiebreaker, having won two of the three meetings between the two clubs.
Both teams have seven games remaining on their schedule. Which one has a better chance of claiming the eighth seed?
The Lakers have a very tough schedule down the stretch. Their final seven games include five against playoff teams. L.A. will face the Memphis Grizzlies, Los Angeles Clippers, Golden State Warriors, San Antonio Spurs and Houston Rockets.
Not only are those teams tough, but the Lakers have struggled against almost all of them. In 13 games this season games, L.A. is just 3-10 against those five opponents.
Utah’s schedule isn’t much easier. They are set to face four postseason teams in their final seven games. The Jazz will play the Oklahoma City Thunder, Denver Nuggets, Golden State Warriors and Memphis Grizzlies. They make up four of the top six seeds in the West.
Los Angeles, however, has the advantage of staying close to home the rest of the way. They will have to leave Staples Center just one more time in the regular season when they play against the Portland Trail Blazers. The Lakers are a completely different team at home, winning nine more games in front of their fans.
The Jazz are even worse on the road. The club has won 17 more games at home, where they have just three games remaining.
As both teams head into the final stretch of the season, the Jazz have the upper hand. If the Lakers and Jazz finish the year with the same record, L.A. will be left on the outside looking in.
After a strong stretch of games after the All-Star Break, the Lakers have come back to earth. Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol have just returned from injuries, and Dwight Howard has yet to play as consistently as he did in the past.
In their past five games, Utah has looked dominant, winning every contest by at least nine points. They may be rounding into form at the perfect time.
However, it would be hard to count out the Lakers. Bryant is still one of the best scorers in the NBA and the team’s home schedule could play a major factor in whether or not they make the playoffs.
Prediction: Lakers make playoffs
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks