Lakers Playoffs Prediction: Can L.A. Make The Postseason Over Utah?
April 4, 2013 7:31 AM EST
The Los Angeles Lakers are in a battle for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
L.A. is tied with the Utah Jazz, as both teams are 39-36 through the first five months of the 2012-2013 NBA season. The Jazz hold the tiebreaker, having won two of the three meetings between the two clubs.
Both teams have seven games remaining on their schedule. Which one has a better chance of claiming the eighth seed?
The Lakers have a very tough schedule down the stretch. Their final seven games include five against playoff teams. L.A. will face the Memphis Grizzlies, Los Angeles Clippers, Golden State Warriors, San Antonio Spurs and Houston Rockets.
Not only are those teams tough, but the Lakers have struggled against almost all of them. In 13 games this season games, L.A. is just 3-10 against those five opponents.
Utah’s schedule isn’t much easier. They are set to face four postseason teams in their final seven games. The Jazz will play the Oklahoma City Thunder, Denver Nuggets, Golden State Warriors and Memphis Grizzlies. They make up four of the top six seeds in the West.
Los Angeles, however, has the advantage of staying close to home the rest of the way. They will have to leave Staples Center just one more time in the regular season when they play against the Portland Trail Blazers. The Lakers are a completely different team at home, winning nine more games in front of their fans.
The Jazz are even worse on the road. The club has won 17 more games at home, where they have just three games remaining.
As both teams head into the final stretch of the season, the Jazz have the upper hand. If the Lakers and Jazz finish the year with the same record, L.A. will be left on the outside looking in.
After a strong stretch of games after the All-Star Break, the Lakers have come back to earth. Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol have just returned from injuries, and Dwight Howard has yet to play as consistently as he did in the past.
In their past five games, Utah has looked dominant, winning every contest by at least nine points. They may be rounding into form at the perfect time.
However, it would be hard to count out the Lakers. Bryant is still one of the best scorers in the NBA and the team’s home schedule could play a major factor in whether or not they make the playoffs.
Prediction: Lakers make playoffs
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories