Natural Barbie Criticized For Her Make-Under; Does She Look Like Everyone Else? [PHOTO]
By Maria Vultaggio | April 3, 2013 11:18 AM EST
An Imugr user thought it was time for Barbie to have a "make-under."
A new picture of Barbie without makeup has began to go viral. The photo has been credited to user named Eddi Aguirre and shows the blonde bombshell in her natural state: freckles, under-eye circles, frizzy hair, acne, yellow teeth and braces.
It’s not the first time the 54-year-old icon has been put under the microscope for her looks, even though she’s generally known for her myriad jobs like being a nurse, astronaut and paratrooper. Not to mention that she owns her own property and has been in a committed relationship with Ken for more than 50 years, minus their short breakup. She has perky breasts, a flat stomach, tiny waist and flawless legs that have had some scientists cry out that a woman with such extreme proportions could never exist in real life. If she did, her real-life measurements would translate to a six-foot tall woman with a 39" bust, 18" waist, and 33" hips.
According to the Washington Post, the doll has been blamed for eating disorders, like when “Sleep Over Barbie” came with a scale, and she was even criticized for discouraging girls from education when “Teen Talk Barbie” in 1992 said things like, “Math class is tough.”
But Barbie has evolved, even gaining wait around her waist throughout the years, Yahoo said.
It would seem un-made-up Barbie would receive much praise for her natural look, but most of the comments have been all negative.
"Her hair needs some work," wrote one commenter. "A doll with an incredibly sick look? Like she's got an awful hangover or renal failure? Which child would want it?" wrote another. And: "It's the way her eyes are swollen, puffy--signs of a hangover or, in the extreme, kidney failure."
It seems America's most famous doll can never win. "It's human nature for people to build up iconic figures and then tear them down," Fran Walfish, Psy.D., a child and family therapist in Beverly Hills, Calif., told Yahoo. "We idealize public figures because we want something to aspire to, but our standards are impossibly high. And when these icons inevitably misstep, we feel disappointed and angry that our hopes have been dashed."
Walfish believes the person who posted the natural photo of Barbie may have been trying to convey that under all the sparkle and glamour, Barbie has flaws like anyone else. "Barbie with braces and acne looks very much like the type of women and girls who come into my practice," Walfish said. "Perhaps this new image is a good thing."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues