Honda to Invest $460 Million on 120,000 Cars-Per-Year Plant in India
April 2, 2013 7:33 PM EST
Honda Motor Co (7267.T) will spend 25 billion rupees on a 120,000 cars-per-year plant in India, a senior executive said, as the Japanese carmaker looks to ramp up its activity in the country after splitting from its former partner.
Honda will roll out its first car from the plant in Rajasthan next year, Yoshiyuki Matsumoto, Honda managing officer, told reporters on Tuesday.
The investment will allow the plant, which currently builds car parts, to produce full vehicles. Honda will also introduce diesel models across its entire range in India, the company said.
Honda's car sales in India have grown by around 45 percent this financial year, bucking negative growth in the wider industry, thanks to its small Jazz and Brio models.
The Japanese carmaker ended a 16-year joint venture in India in August after buying out its former partner, which had disagreed with Honda over a ramping up of investment in the business that saw the Rajasthan factory delayed.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying