Canada Opens Diplomatic Mission In Iraq After Two Decades
By Tendar Tsering | April 2, 2013 6:03 PM EST
Canadian Foreign Minister John Baird who is currently on a visit to the Middle East Monday opened Canada's diplomatic mission in the country after twenty two years.
On a brief visit to the country, John Baird Monday met with Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki and speaker of the parliament among other political leaders in the Middle East country.
Inaugurating the mission office that will be an offshoot of its embassy in Jordan, the foreign minister in a press release acknowledged that Canada "needs to be on the ground in Baghdad."
"Ten years after the Iraqi intervention, Iraq is one of the fastest-growing economies in the world, despite deep and lingering sectarian tensions," said Baird, adding Iraq is one of the key leading countries in the Middle East.
"Canada's trade and investment interests in Iraq have strong potential, including in the country's north, where we will expand our dialogue with leaders in Arbil," said John Baird "To pursue our interests, we know that Canada needs to be on the ground in Baghdad."
Canada shut down its embassy in Iraq in 1990, years after the Iranian Revolution.
Stephanie Duhaime, 33 is appointed to occupy the semi-ambassadorial post and she along with the embassy in Jordan will continue to restore diplomatic relations in Iraq and expand its economic ties with the Middle East countries.
The 33-year old woman in 2004 joined the Canadian foreign ministry as Afghanistan's Operations Officer where she was one of the two officers assigned with rebuilding areas within Kandahar.
Canadian Immigration Minister Jason Kenney in early March made a surprise visit to the country where he met several leaders of the country including its prime minister.
After returning from visit to the Middle East, Minister Kenney expressed Canada's need to establish the diplomatic post in the capital of Iraq.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Canada Housing Affordability Improves: Toronto, Vancouver Properties Most Pricey
- New Zealand PM John Key Dismisses 'Dirty Politics' Issue in TV Debate, Outshines David Cunliffe
- US And Australia Share Visa And Immigration Information
- Malaysia And Australia Agree To Split MH 370 Search Costs
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide