Glee Star Cory Monteith Checks Into Rehab
By Ayessa Desiderio | April 2, 2013 11:53 AM EST
There will be no singing for Glee star Cory Monteith, at least not for a little while. The 30-year-old actor has checked into rehab, citing substance abuse as the reason.
It might seem like a bad boy cliché for a wholesome actor like Monteith, but his representatives have confirmed his rehab stint.
"[He] has voluntarily admitted himself to a treatment facility for substance addiction," a rep confirms in an exclusive interview with People Magazine. "He graciously asks for your respect and privacy as he takes the necessary steps towards recovery."
Although his clean-cut image gives no indication, this is not the first time Monteith has struggled with addiction. He has previously entered rehab as a fresh faced 19-year-old, saying speaking out about his troubles might help other kids deal with their own struggles.
While he doesn't want young children to follow his footsteps into addiction, he opens up in an interview in 2011 and says, "But for those people who might give up: Get real about what you want and go after it."
Monteith is checking into rehab by himself, but fortunately he can count on his Glee pals to support him in this chapter of his life.
A spokesperson from the hit television show has spoken up saying that although Monteith will miss the last two episodes of the series, "Cory is a beloved member of the Glee family and we fully support his decision to seek treatment. Everyone at the show wishes him well and looks forward to his return."
His girlfriend Lea Michele, also from Glee, has also expressed her plans to support her beau in this chapter of his life. "I love and support Cory and will stand by him through this," she tells People Magazine. "I am grateful and proud he made this decision."
His co-stars were also quick to send him tweets of encouragement, including Chris Colfer, Harry Shum Jr. and Amber Riley, among others.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Bill Gates Believes Ebola Could Spread Outside West Africa, Warns Countries Should Strengthen Healthcare
- Sex In The City Actress Kim Cattrall Embraces Menopause
- A Baby Shot In The Head Due To Hunting Accident In Pennsylvania; Chances of Blindness
- Australia's Response to Ebola Crisis 'Lethally Inadequate'
- 5 Myths About The Gluten-Free Diet Every Fad Fanatic Should Know
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money