Glee Star Cory Monteith Checks Into Rehab
By Ayessa Desiderio | April 2, 2013 11:53 AM EST
There will be no singing for Glee star Cory Monteith, at least not for a little while. The 30-year-old actor has checked into rehab, citing substance abuse as the reason.
It might seem like a bad boy cliché for a wholesome actor like Monteith, but his representatives have confirmed his rehab stint.
"[He] has voluntarily admitted himself to a treatment facility for substance addiction," a rep confirms in an exclusive interview with People Magazine. "He graciously asks for your respect and privacy as he takes the necessary steps towards recovery."
Although his clean-cut image gives no indication, this is not the first time Monteith has struggled with addiction. He has previously entered rehab as a fresh faced 19-year-old, saying speaking out about his troubles might help other kids deal with their own struggles.
While he doesn't want young children to follow his footsteps into addiction, he opens up in an interview in 2011 and says, "But for those people who might give up: Get real about what you want and go after it."
Monteith is checking into rehab by himself, but fortunately he can count on his Glee pals to support him in this chapter of his life.
A spokesperson from the hit television show has spoken up saying that although Monteith will miss the last two episodes of the series, "Cory is a beloved member of the Glee family and we fully support his decision to seek treatment. Everyone at the show wishes him well and looks forward to his return."
His girlfriend Lea Michele, also from Glee, has also expressed her plans to support her beau in this chapter of his life. "I love and support Cory and will stand by him through this," she tells People Magazine. "I am grateful and proud he made this decision."
His co-stars were also quick to send him tweets of encouragement, including Chris Colfer, Harry Shum Jr. and Amber Riley, among others.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Australia to Host Human Tests for New Brain Tumour Treatment
- Medical Marijuana Ads In Canada Facing Crackdown: Health Canada Issues Warning Letters To 20 Licensed Producers
- Ebola Vaccine Shows High Immune System Response In Early Tests; Australia Lifts Travel Ban on Congo
- HIV Treatment News: Largest Truvada Trial Happening In Australia
- Ellen DeGeneres Gives El Cajon Man With Viral Weight Loss Video Ford Mustang
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones