Glee Star Cory Monteith Checks Into Rehab
By Ayessa Desiderio | April 2, 2013 11:53 AM EST
There will be no singing for Glee star Cory Monteith, at least not for a little while. The 30-year-old actor has checked into rehab, citing substance abuse as the reason.
It might seem like a bad boy cliché for a wholesome actor like Monteith, but his representatives have confirmed his rehab stint.
"[He] has voluntarily admitted himself to a treatment facility for substance addiction," a rep confirms in an exclusive interview with People Magazine. "He graciously asks for your respect and privacy as he takes the necessary steps towards recovery."
Although his clean-cut image gives no indication, this is not the first time Monteith has struggled with addiction. He has previously entered rehab as a fresh faced 19-year-old, saying speaking out about his troubles might help other kids deal with their own struggles.
While he doesn't want young children to follow his footsteps into addiction, he opens up in an interview in 2011 and says, "But for those people who might give up: Get real about what you want and go after it."
Monteith is checking into rehab by himself, but fortunately he can count on his Glee pals to support him in this chapter of his life.
A spokesperson from the hit television show has spoken up saying that although Monteith will miss the last two episodes of the series, "Cory is a beloved member of the Glee family and we fully support his decision to seek treatment. Everyone at the show wishes him well and looks forward to his return."
His girlfriend Lea Michele, also from Glee, has also expressed her plans to support her beau in this chapter of his life. "I love and support Cory and will stand by him through this," she tells People Magazine. "I am grateful and proud he made this decision."
His co-stars were also quick to send him tweets of encouragement, including Chris Colfer, Harry Shum Jr. and Amber Riley, among others.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Vaccine Not Coming Soon Enough; Australia and New Zealand Prepare for Possible Outbreak
- Ebola Virus Spreading in Africa Could Reach US
- Top 10 Deadliest Viruses To Ever Exist
- Gluten-Free Diets? Research Says it Contains No Nutrition!
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools