One Dead, Three Injured In Arkansas Nuclear Power Plant Accident
By Eric Brown | April 1, 2013 8:38 AM EST
An accident at an Arkansas nuclear power plant resulted in the death of one worker and the injury of three others Sunday. No nuclear material was released.
A generator was being moved out of the turbine building at Russellville’s Arkansas Nuclear One power plant when it fell, crushing one of the workers, Reuters reported. The injured workers were quickly taken to a hospital.
“We are deeply saddened by what has happened today,” said Jeff Forbes, the chief nuclear officer of the power plant's parent Entergy Corp. (NYSE:ETR), the Associated Press reported. “Our greatest sympathy is with the family and friends of the employee who lost his life, and with those who sustained injuries.”
While the accident resulted in injuries and a loss of life, Arkansas Nuclear One’s owner was quick to note that the accident was not nuclear in nature and there is no danger of nuclear fallout.
The accident was labeled an “unusual event,” the lowest of four levels of emergency situations defined by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
“There was no nuclear release of any kind,” Reuters quoted Arkansas Health Department representative Ed Barham as saying.
Both of Arkansas Nuclear One's nuclear generators were shut down after the accident.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales