Canada’s Pull Out From Annual Anti-Drought Aid ‘Regrettable’: UN
By Tendar Tsering | March 30, 2013 8:47 PM EST
The United Nations Friday termed Canada's withdrawal from a UN convention to help fight against wide spread droughts in Africa and elsewhere as 'regrettable.'
Blaming bureaucracy, Prime Minister Stephen Harper recently declared that his government will end the $350,000 contribution to the special global program.
"The Convention is stronger than ever before, which makes Canada's decision to withdraw from the Convention all the more regrettable," said the Bonn-based secretariat for the convention in a statement Friday.
Over 190 countries had signed to combat drought in 1994 and Canada is the only country pulling out of the UN convention in fight against the drought across the world.
Canada's sudden withdrawal has drawn wide spread criticism from all walks of life including from opposition parties, rights groups and non-governmental aid agencies.
"It is time for Canada to reclaim its role as a respected member of the international community, and to reject the Harper government's isolationist moves. Our political capital on the international front has been disappearing rapidly, and with decisions like the rejection of the Convention to prevent drought, it won't be long before it's all dried up," Ryan Liss, a doctoral candidate at the University of Toronto, Law faculty told the Globe and Mail.
According to the UN body, Canada previously contributed 3.1 percent of its total budget allocated for the anti drought program.
Annoyed by the Canada's decision, the UN secretariat Friday noted that Canada is a country which is prone to drought.
"Canada, a country that is frequently subjected to drought and where 60 per cent of the cropland is in dry areas, is also a major actor in global efforts to address food security in developing countries," said the secretariat.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers