Olive Garden Receipt: Restaurant Gives Seth McClure's Family Free Meal Manager Is Informed About House Fire [PHOTO]
By Rebecka Schumann | March 29, 2013 2:19 AM EST
Photos of restaurant receipts showing bad tippers and rude notes customer leave for waiters are known to cause controversy, but a heartwarming viral photo of a restaurant giving back to a family in need has people singing a different tune.
Seth McClure of DeKalb, Ill. posted a picture from his family's recent trip to Olive Garden Saturday on Reddit of a meal that was supposed to cost $48 dollars, showing a total of $0.
“My brother, wife, 3-year-old daughter and I went to Olive Garden after a recent house fire at my parents,” said McClure. “When the manager asked how everything was my daughter said, ‘Grandpa’s house burned down.’ Here is how we received our check…”
The photo currently has over 1.1 million views since it was uploaded Wednesday.
The lucky recipient said he was shocked by the number of responses to his story. While the majority were positive, he admitted some comments were negative accusing him of being a paid sponsor for the Italian restaurant chain and a “corporate shrill”.
“I got a few dozen messages calling me names…a few wishing me a painful death,” said McClure who said he is hoping the manager “Bob” won’t take the heat for the viral receipt.
“He asked a couple of details like where it happened, when, and if my family had somewhere to stay. I did not expect the bill to get paid, but it was very nice of them!” he said. “My story is real, and I hope that it has not negatively impacted Olive Garden. What they did was very kind for my family, and they don't deserve any of this negative feedback.”
In lieu of getting a free meal, McClure said he did leave a $20 tip.
“We are always looking for ways to surprise and delight our guests and this was one of the ways the Olive Garden team in Vernon Hills, Ill. did that last weekend,” a rep from Olive Garden’s parent company Darden Tara Gray told the Huffington Post Wednesday.
The fire occurred at McClure’s parent’s home in Prarie View, IL. on March 7. Jim McClure was removed safely from the home; Renee “Nene” McClure suffered from a broken shoulder bone and was hospitalized for several weeks. The home is currently is a state of disrepair with the couple living in an extended stay hotel but McClure said that the fire was ultimately a blessing.
“While in the hospital they discovered a problem with her trache, which had it [not] been discovered at the house, would have almost certainly caused her to die. In a way, the fire saved her life,” he said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop