2013 New York Auto Show: Volkswagen, Porsche, Jaguar, Tesla Win Global Accolades
By Angelo Young | March 29, 2013 2:16 AM EST
For a second year running, Volkswagen AG (ETR:VOW3) took the World Car of the Year prize for its Golf subcompact. Last year it won for the Volkswagen Up! small family car. Since 2009 the Wolfsburg, Germany-based carmaker has taken home the award, determined by a who’s who panel of 66 automotive journalists worldwide.
“This car sets new benchmarks again and again, not least in terms of efficiency and environmental credentials,” said Martin Winterkorn, chairman of the board of management of Volkswagen AG, who accepted the award. “Soon, for instance, the Golf will also be launched as a plug-in hybrid and as a 100 percent electric car.”
The Golf beat out the Mercedes-Benz A-Class, the Porsche Boxster/Cayman, the combined entry Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 / GT 86.
The awards, announced Thursday at the 2013 New York Auto Show, included winners in three other categories: the best performance, best design and greenest machines.
The best performance car winner was also a nominee for best overall: the Porsche Boxter (convertible) / Cayman. It beat out the finalists, the Ferrari F12 Berlinetta and the combined entry Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 / GT 86.
The best design went to the Jaguar F-type, the first sports car from the automaker in over 50 years. It beat out the Mazda6 and the Aston Martin Vanquish.
The best green machine went to the Tesla Model S, which earlier this year won Motor Trend Car of Year for 2013, beating the Renault Zoe and the Volvo V60 Plug-in Hybrid.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- US Alerts Car Owners To Fix Air Bags Urgently As Defective Air Bags Are Causing Fatal Deaths With Shrapnels Flying Out
- Honda Connect a System Based on Android and NVIDIA Tegra Processor To make Driving Easy
- Over 1,000 New Jobs Available at Oakville Assembly – Ford of Canada
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Upcoming Ford Falcon Can Save Life with 000 Technology During Crash
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan