2013 New York Auto Show: Volkswagen, Porsche, Jaguar, Tesla Win Global Accolades
By Angelo Young | March 29, 2013 2:16 AM EST
For a second year running, Volkswagen AG (ETR:VOW3) took the World Car of the Year prize for its Golf subcompact. Last year it won for the Volkswagen Up! small family car. Since 2009 the Wolfsburg, Germany-based carmaker has taken home the award, determined by a who’s who panel of 66 automotive journalists worldwide.
“This car sets new benchmarks again and again, not least in terms of efficiency and environmental credentials,” said Martin Winterkorn, chairman of the board of management of Volkswagen AG, who accepted the award. “Soon, for instance, the Golf will also be launched as a plug-in hybrid and as a 100 percent electric car.”
The Golf beat out the Mercedes-Benz A-Class, the Porsche Boxster/Cayman, the combined entry Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 / GT 86.
The awards, announced Thursday at the 2013 New York Auto Show, included winners in three other categories: the best performance, best design and greenest machines.
The best performance car winner was also a nominee for best overall: the Porsche Boxter (convertible) / Cayman. It beat out the finalists, the Ferrari F12 Berlinetta and the combined entry Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 / GT 86.
The best design went to the Jaguar F-type, the first sports car from the automaker in over 50 years. It beat out the Mazda6 and the Aston Martin Vanquish.
The best green machine went to the Tesla Model S, which earlier this year won Motor Trend Car of Year for 2013, beating the Renault Zoe and the Volvo V60 Plug-in Hybrid.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
Join the Conversation
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Upcoming Ford Falcon Can Save Life with 000 Technology During Crash
- All-New Mazda2 to Roll Out in Australia This Summer
- Much-Awaited Mazda MX-5 Limited Edition in Australia
- 75 Dead from China Car Parts Plant Blast, Poor Safety Measures Blamed
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date