2013 New York Auto Show: Volkswagen, Porsche, Jaguar, Tesla Win Global Accolades
By Angelo Young | March 29, 2013 2:16 AM EST
For a second year running, Volkswagen AG (ETR:VOW3) took the World Car of the Year prize for its Golf subcompact. Last year it won for the Volkswagen Up! small family car. Since 2009 the Wolfsburg, Germany-based carmaker has taken home the award, determined by a who’s who panel of 66 automotive journalists worldwide.
“This car sets new benchmarks again and again, not least in terms of efficiency and environmental credentials,” said Martin Winterkorn, chairman of the board of management of Volkswagen AG, who accepted the award. “Soon, for instance, the Golf will also be launched as a plug-in hybrid and as a 100 percent electric car.”
The Golf beat out the Mercedes-Benz A-Class, the Porsche Boxster/Cayman, the combined entry Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 / GT 86.
The awards, announced Thursday at the 2013 New York Auto Show, included winners in three other categories: the best performance, best design and greenest machines.
The best performance car winner was also a nominee for best overall: the Porsche Boxter (convertible) / Cayman. It beat out the finalists, the Ferrari F12 Berlinetta and the combined entry Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 / GT 86.
The best design went to the Jaguar F-type, the first sports car from the automaker in over 50 years. It beat out the Mazda6 and the Aston Martin Vanquish.
The best green machine went to the Tesla Model S, which earlier this year won Motor Trend Car of Year for 2013, beating the Renault Zoe and the Volvo V60 Plug-in Hybrid.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Upcoming Ford Falcon Can Save Life with 000 Technology During Crash
- All-New Mazda2 to Roll Out in Australia This Summer
- Much-Awaited Mazda MX-5 Limited Edition in Australia
- 75 Dead from China Car Parts Plant Blast, Poor Safety Measures Blamed
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display