2013 New York Auto Show: Volkswagen, Porsche, Jaguar, Tesla Win Global Accolades
By Angelo Young | March 29, 2013 2:16 AM EST
For a second year running, Volkswagen AG (ETR:VOW3) took the World Car of the Year prize for its Golf subcompact. Last year it won for the Volkswagen Up! small family car. Since 2009 the Wolfsburg, Germany-based carmaker has taken home the award, determined by a who’s who panel of 66 automotive journalists worldwide.
“This car sets new benchmarks again and again, not least in terms of efficiency and environmental credentials,” said Martin Winterkorn, chairman of the board of management of Volkswagen AG, who accepted the award. “Soon, for instance, the Golf will also be launched as a plug-in hybrid and as a 100 percent electric car.”
The Golf beat out the Mercedes-Benz A-Class, the Porsche Boxster/Cayman, the combined entry Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 / GT 86.
The awards, announced Thursday at the 2013 New York Auto Show, included winners in three other categories: the best performance, best design and greenest machines.
The best performance car winner was also a nominee for best overall: the Porsche Boxter (convertible) / Cayman. It beat out the finalists, the Ferrari F12 Berlinetta and the combined entry Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 / GT 86.
The best design went to the Jaguar F-type, the first sports car from the automaker in over 50 years. It beat out the Mazda6 and the Aston Martin Vanquish.
The best green machine went to the Tesla Model S, which earlier this year won Motor Trend Car of Year for 2013, beating the Renault Zoe and the Volvo V60 Plug-in Hybrid.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Upcoming Ford Falcon Can Save Life with 000 Technology During Crash
- All-New Mazda2 to Roll Out in Australia This Summer
- Much-Awaited Mazda MX-5 Limited Edition in Australia
- 75 Dead from China Car Parts Plant Blast, Poor Safety Measures Blamed
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza
- US, Syria to Work Together to Vaporise ISIS
- European Central Bank Advises Action to Boost Demand and Employment In EU