Bernie Madoff Writes From Prison And Points Finger At Major Banks, JPMorgan Chase, New York Mellon, HSBC And Citigroup
March 29, 2013 1:58 AM EST
Bernie Madoff says the major banks "must have known" of his Ponzi scheme, a $50 billion securities fraud disaster that shook the financial world in December 2008.
Writing from prison in an email to MarketWatch, Madoff said that he is telling Congressional committees the full story and pointing fingers at JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM), Bank of New York Mellon Corporation (NYSE:BK), HSBC Holdings PLC (NYSE: HBC) and Citigroup Inc. (NYSE: C) as well as additional banks.
"From my first interview to the media I have said that 'the banks must have known,' and were complicit and contributing to my crime," Madoff said in the email.
Madoff said that the trustee seems unwilling to act on his offer to help, so he is "offering this information to the appropriate governmental committees in the hope that this information will prove helpful in future regulation of the appropriate institutions."
Neither the House Financial Services Committee or the Senate Banking Committee have commented on whether they received such information from Madoff.
JPMorgan is reportedly under scrutiny from Treasury Department Inspector General Eric Thorson over a government probe into the bank's relationship with Madoff. Thorson is seeking evidence from the biggest U.S. bank by assets that Madoff had an account at JPMorgan Chase that he used in order to transfer funds between offices.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers