Bernie Madoff Writes From Prison And Points Finger At Major Banks, JPMorgan Chase, New York Mellon, HSBC And Citigroup
March 29, 2013 1:58 AM EST
Bernie Madoff says the major banks "must have known" of his Ponzi scheme, a $50 billion securities fraud disaster that shook the financial world in December 2008.
Writing from prison in an email to MarketWatch, Madoff said that he is telling Congressional committees the full story and pointing fingers at JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM), Bank of New York Mellon Corporation (NYSE:BK), HSBC Holdings PLC (NYSE: HBC) and Citigroup Inc. (NYSE: C) as well as additional banks.
"From my first interview to the media I have said that 'the banks must have known,' and were complicit and contributing to my crime," Madoff said in the email.
Madoff said that the trustee seems unwilling to act on his offer to help, so he is "offering this information to the appropriate governmental committees in the hope that this information will prove helpful in future regulation of the appropriate institutions."
Neither the House Financial Services Committee or the Senate Banking Committee have commented on whether they received such information from Madoff.
JPMorgan is reportedly under scrutiny from Treasury Department Inspector General Eric Thorson over a government probe into the bank's relationship with Madoff. Thorson is seeking evidence from the biggest U.S. bank by assets that Madoff had an account at JPMorgan Chase that he used in order to transfer funds between offices.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide