Bernie Madoff Writes From Prison And Points Finger At Major Banks, JPMorgan Chase, New York Mellon, HSBC And Citigroup
March 29, 2013 1:58 AM EST
Bernie Madoff says the major banks "must have known" of his Ponzi scheme, a $50 billion securities fraud disaster that shook the financial world in December 2008.
Writing from prison in an email to MarketWatch, Madoff said that he is telling Congressional committees the full story and pointing fingers at JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM), Bank of New York Mellon Corporation (NYSE:BK), HSBC Holdings PLC (NYSE: HBC) and Citigroup Inc. (NYSE: C) as well as additional banks.
"From my first interview to the media I have said that 'the banks must have known,' and were complicit and contributing to my crime," Madoff said in the email.
Madoff said that the trustee seems unwilling to act on his offer to help, so he is "offering this information to the appropriate governmental committees in the hope that this information will prove helpful in future regulation of the appropriate institutions."
Neither the House Financial Services Committee or the Senate Banking Committee have commented on whether they received such information from Madoff.
JPMorgan is reportedly under scrutiny from Treasury Department Inspector General Eric Thorson over a government probe into the bank's relationship with Madoff. Thorson is seeking evidence from the biggest U.S. bank by assets that Madoff had an account at JPMorgan Chase that he used in order to transfer funds between offices.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet