Gold Recaptures $1,600 as Cyprus and Fed Chatter Take Center Stage
By Eric McWhinnie | March 28, 2013 6:36 AM EST
On Wednesday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for June delivery, the most active contract, jumped $9.90 to close at $1,607.20 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) futures for May edged 7 cents lower to finish at $28.61.
Gold recaptured $1,600 an ounce, despite the U.S. dollar index climbing higher. Cyprus appears to be on schedule to reopen banks for the first time in two weeks tomorrow, but capital controls will be in place. ATM withdraws are reportedly limited to only 300 euros, while people will be forbidden to take more than 3,000 euros in cash out of the insolvent country.
Meanwhile, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis President Narayana Kocherlakota said the central bank’s monetary policy is currently “not accommodative enough.” He also reiterated the point that the unemployment rate threshold is not a trigger to end current policies.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) gained 0.50 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) gained about 0.15 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) both jumped more than 2.0 percent. First Majestic Silver (NYSE:AG) increased 1.5 percent.
Don’t Miss: Is the College Debt Bubble Finally Bursting?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate