Gold Recaptures $1,600 as Cyprus and Fed Chatter Take Center Stage
By Eric McWhinnie | March 28, 2013 6:36 AM EST
On Wednesday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for June delivery, the most active contract, jumped $9.90 to close at $1,607.20 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) futures for May edged 7 cents lower to finish at $28.61.
Gold recaptured $1,600 an ounce, despite the U.S. dollar index climbing higher. Cyprus appears to be on schedule to reopen banks for the first time in two weeks tomorrow, but capital controls will be in place. ATM withdraws are reportedly limited to only 300 euros, while people will be forbidden to take more than 3,000 euros in cash out of the insolvent country.
Meanwhile, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis President Narayana Kocherlakota said the central bank’s monetary policy is currently “not accommodative enough.” He also reiterated the point that the unemployment rate threshold is not a trigger to end current policies.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) gained 0.50 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) gained about 0.15 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) both jumped more than 2.0 percent. First Majestic Silver (NYSE:AG) increased 1.5 percent.
Don’t Miss: Is the College Debt Bubble Finally Bursting?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales