Gold Recaptures $1,600 as Cyprus and Fed Chatter Take Center Stage
By Eric McWhinnie | March 28, 2013 6:36 AM EST
On Wednesday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for June delivery, the most active contract, jumped $9.90 to close at $1,607.20 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) futures for May edged 7 cents lower to finish at $28.61.
Gold recaptured $1,600 an ounce, despite the U.S. dollar index climbing higher. Cyprus appears to be on schedule to reopen banks for the first time in two weeks tomorrow, but capital controls will be in place. ATM withdraws are reportedly limited to only 300 euros, while people will be forbidden to take more than 3,000 euros in cash out of the insolvent country.
Meanwhile, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis President Narayana Kocherlakota said the central bank’s monetary policy is currently “not accommodative enough.” He also reiterated the point that the unemployment rate threshold is not a trigger to end current policies.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) gained 0.50 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) gained about 0.15 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) both jumped more than 2.0 percent. First Majestic Silver (NYSE:AG) increased 1.5 percent.
Don’t Miss: Is the College Debt Bubble Finally Bursting?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Update: Maisie Williams Talks Arya Stark, Lady Stoneheart, and Surprises
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell