Gold Recaptures $1,600 as Cyprus and Fed Chatter Take Center Stage
By Eric McWhinnie | March 28, 2013 6:36 AM EST
On Wednesday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for June delivery, the most active contract, jumped $9.90 to close at $1,607.20 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) futures for May edged 7 cents lower to finish at $28.61.
Gold recaptured $1,600 an ounce, despite the U.S. dollar index climbing higher. Cyprus appears to be on schedule to reopen banks for the first time in two weeks tomorrow, but capital controls will be in place. ATM withdraws are reportedly limited to only 300 euros, while people will be forbidden to take more than 3,000 euros in cash out of the insolvent country.
Meanwhile, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis President Narayana Kocherlakota said the central bank’s monetary policy is currently “not accommodative enough.” He also reiterated the point that the unemployment rate threshold is not a trigger to end current policies.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) gained 0.50 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) gained about 0.15 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) both jumped more than 2.0 percent. First Majestic Silver (NYSE:AG) increased 1.5 percent.
Don’t Miss: Is the College Debt Bubble Finally Bursting?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Join the Conversation
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report