Holi 2013 in Pictures: India Celebrates Festival of Colours [PHOTOS]
By Ankita Mehta | March 27, 2013 10:30 PM EST
India on Wednesday celebrated Holi, a Hindu festival which marks the beginning of spring, with 'gulal'.
People across the country greeted each other "Holi Mubarak" with sweets, especially the traditional gujiya, in North India. Revellers also consume traditional thandai called bhang. The thandai or bhang is a mild intoxicating drink made from cannabis, a popular recreational drug known for its psychoactive effects.
While kids and youngsters like to play Holi with pichkari and balloons filled with coloured water, the elders prefer to use dry colour.
President Pranab Mukherjee, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi wished people on the occasion of Holi.
"On the joyous occasion of Holi, I convey my greetings and good wishes to all my fellow countrymen. This festival which marks the advent of spring, is a harbinger of joy, hope and fulfilment for all," Pranab Mukherjee said on Wednesday.
"The myriad colours of Holi are a reflection of our diversity and multi-cultural heritage. May this festival of colours strengthen faith in our cherished national values and promote oneness, harmony and the good of all."
The prime minister in his message said that Holi is the celebration of "life and goodness and gives opportunity to strengthen the spirit of brotherhood."
Holi is also a special occasion that marks "victory of good over evil".
There are many legends linked with the celebration of this festival. According to Hindu mythology, Lord Krishna who was jealous of Radha's fair skin smeared her with colours to make her darker. The festival is thus celebrated to commemorate their divine love for each other.
Another popular belief is Holika, sister of great king of demon Hiranyakashipu, was burned to death while trying to kill her nephew Prahlada. Prahlada was the son of Hiranyakashipu and a devotee of Vishnu. Holika had a special power that saved her from being harmed by fire. Hiranyakashipu asked his sister to sit with Prahlad on a bonfire in an attempt to kill him. But Holika was burned to ashes while Prahlad survived. Thus, Holi also marks the death of Holika.
Check out the holi celebration photos here:
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
Join the Conversation
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- Xiaomi Mi4 v. Moto X (2014) – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown