Holi 2013 in Pictures: India Celebrates Festival of Colours [PHOTOS]
By Ankita Mehta | March 27, 2013 10:30 PM EST
India on Wednesday celebrated Holi, a Hindu festival which marks the beginning of spring, with 'gulal'.
People across the country greeted each other "Holi Mubarak" with sweets, especially the traditional gujiya, in North India. Revellers also consume traditional thandai called bhang. The thandai or bhang is a mild intoxicating drink made from cannabis, a popular recreational drug known for its psychoactive effects.
While kids and youngsters like to play Holi with pichkari and balloons filled with coloured water, the elders prefer to use dry colour.
President Pranab Mukherjee, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi wished people on the occasion of Holi.
"On the joyous occasion of Holi, I convey my greetings and good wishes to all my fellow countrymen. This festival which marks the advent of spring, is a harbinger of joy, hope and fulfilment for all," Pranab Mukherjee said on Wednesday.
"The myriad colours of Holi are a reflection of our diversity and multi-cultural heritage. May this festival of colours strengthen faith in our cherished national values and promote oneness, harmony and the good of all."
The prime minister in his message said that Holi is the celebration of "life and goodness and gives opportunity to strengthen the spirit of brotherhood."
Holi is also a special occasion that marks "victory of good over evil".
There are many legends linked with the celebration of this festival. According to Hindu mythology, Lord Krishna who was jealous of Radha's fair skin smeared her with colours to make her darker. The festival is thus celebrated to commemorate their divine love for each other.
Another popular belief is Holika, sister of great king of demon Hiranyakashipu, was burned to death while trying to kill her nephew Prahlada. Prahlada was the son of Hiranyakashipu and a devotee of Vishnu. Holika had a special power that saved her from being harmed by fire. Hiranyakashipu asked his sister to sit with Prahlad on a bonfire in an attempt to kill him. But Holika was burned to ashes while Prahlad survived. Thus, Holi also marks the death of Holika.
Check out the holi celebration photos here:
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop