Holi 2013 in Pictures: India Celebrates Festival of Colours [PHOTOS]
By Ankita Mehta | March 27, 2013 10:30 PM EST
India on Wednesday celebrated Holi, a Hindu festival which marks the beginning of spring, with 'gulal'.
People across the country greeted each other "Holi Mubarak" with sweets, especially the traditional gujiya, in North India. Revellers also consume traditional thandai called bhang. The thandai or bhang is a mild intoxicating drink made from cannabis, a popular recreational drug known for its psychoactive effects.
While kids and youngsters like to play Holi with pichkari and balloons filled with coloured water, the elders prefer to use dry colour.
President Pranab Mukherjee, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi wished people on the occasion of Holi.
"On the joyous occasion of Holi, I convey my greetings and good wishes to all my fellow countrymen. This festival which marks the advent of spring, is a harbinger of joy, hope and fulfilment for all," Pranab Mukherjee said on Wednesday.
"The myriad colours of Holi are a reflection of our diversity and multi-cultural heritage. May this festival of colours strengthen faith in our cherished national values and promote oneness, harmony and the good of all."
The prime minister in his message said that Holi is the celebration of "life and goodness and gives opportunity to strengthen the spirit of brotherhood."
Holi is also a special occasion that marks "victory of good over evil".
There are many legends linked with the celebration of this festival. According to Hindu mythology, Lord Krishna who was jealous of Radha's fair skin smeared her with colours to make her darker. The festival is thus celebrated to commemorate their divine love for each other.
Another popular belief is Holika, sister of great king of demon Hiranyakashipu, was burned to death while trying to kill her nephew Prahlada. Prahlada was the son of Hiranyakashipu and a devotee of Vishnu. Holika had a special power that saved her from being harmed by fire. Hiranyakashipu asked his sister to sit with Prahlad on a bonfire in an attempt to kill him. But Holika was burned to ashes while Prahlad survived. Thus, Holi also marks the death of Holika.
Check out the holi celebration photos here:
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change