JPMorgan Chase Now Being Investigated By Eight Federal Agencies, One Case Concerns Whether The Bank Fully Alerted Authorities To Suspicious Madoff Trades
March 27, 2013 10:19 PM EST
The number of federal agencies now investigating JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE:JPM), the biggest U.S. bank by assets, has grown to eight, and one case involves suspicions the biggest U.S. bank by assets did not fully alert authorities to concerns about Bernard L. Madoff, now in prison for an $18 billion Ponzi scheme, the New York Times said Wednesday.
While some of the New York-based bank's troubles have been disclosed, suspicions that JPMorgan may not have been as forthcoming with authorities about suspicious trades related to Madoff as the required is new.
"We believe that the personnel who dealt with the Madoff issue acted in good faith in seeking to comply with all anti-money laundering and regulatory obligations,' bank spokesman Joe Evangelisti told the Times.
Among agencies probing the big bank are the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The investigations have taken up an increasing amount of time for CEO Jamie Dimon.
"We get it, and we are dealing aggressively with these issues," Evangelisti said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3