JPMorgan Chase Now Being Investigated By Eight Federal Agencies, One Case Concerns Whether The Bank Fully Alerted Authorities To Suspicious Madoff Trades
March 27, 2013 10:19 PM EST
The number of federal agencies now investigating JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE:JPM), the biggest U.S. bank by assets, has grown to eight, and one case involves suspicions the biggest U.S. bank by assets did not fully alert authorities to concerns about Bernard L. Madoff, now in prison for an $18 billion Ponzi scheme, the New York Times said Wednesday.
While some of the New York-based bank's troubles have been disclosed, suspicions that JPMorgan may not have been as forthcoming with authorities about suspicious trades related to Madoff as the required is new.
"We believe that the personnel who dealt with the Madoff issue acted in good faith in seeking to comply with all anti-money laundering and regulatory obligations,' bank spokesman Joe Evangelisti told the Times.
Among agencies probing the big bank are the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The investigations have taken up an increasing amount of time for CEO Jamie Dimon.
"We get it, and we are dealing aggressively with these issues," Evangelisti said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools