JPMorgan Chase Now Being Investigated By Eight Federal Agencies, One Case Concerns Whether The Bank Fully Alerted Authorities To Suspicious Madoff Trades
March 27, 2013 10:19 PM EST
The number of federal agencies now investigating JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE:JPM), the biggest U.S. bank by assets, has grown to eight, and one case involves suspicions the biggest U.S. bank by assets did not fully alert authorities to concerns about Bernard L. Madoff, now in prison for an $18 billion Ponzi scheme, the New York Times said Wednesday.
While some of the New York-based bank's troubles have been disclosed, suspicions that JPMorgan may not have been as forthcoming with authorities about suspicious trades related to Madoff as the required is new.
"We believe that the personnel who dealt with the Madoff issue acted in good faith in seeking to comply with all anti-money laundering and regulatory obligations,' bank spokesman Joe Evangelisti told the Times.
Among agencies probing the big bank are the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The investigations have taken up an increasing amount of time for CEO Jamie Dimon.
"We get it, and we are dealing aggressively with these issues," Evangelisti said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?