JPMorgan Chase Now Being Investigated By Eight Federal Agencies, One Case Concerns Whether The Bank Fully Alerted Authorities To Suspicious Madoff Trades
March 27, 2013 10:19 PM EST
The number of federal agencies now investigating JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE:JPM), the biggest U.S. bank by assets, has grown to eight, and one case involves suspicions the biggest U.S. bank by assets did not fully alert authorities to concerns about Bernard L. Madoff, now in prison for an $18 billion Ponzi scheme, the New York Times said Wednesday.
While some of the New York-based bank's troubles have been disclosed, suspicions that JPMorgan may not have been as forthcoming with authorities about suspicious trades related to Madoff as the required is new.
"We believe that the personnel who dealt with the Madoff issue acted in good faith in seeking to comply with all anti-money laundering and regulatory obligations,' bank spokesman Joe Evangelisti told the Times.
Among agencies probing the big bank are the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The investigations have taken up an increasing amount of time for CEO Jamie Dimon.
"We get it, and we are dealing aggressively with these issues," Evangelisti said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories