NASCAR California Sprint Cup Series: Where To Watch Live, Preview, Starting Grid, Denny Hamlin Can’t Escape Controversy, Dale Earnhardt Jr. Can Take Points Lead
By IB Times Staff Reporter | March 25, 2013 3:04 AM EST
Denny Hamlin just can’t seem to avoid controversy.
The Joe Gibbs Racing driver issued a public apology to former teammate Joey Logano for two discretions at Bristol last week. Hamlin bumped Logano on Lap 349, which sent him into a spin and ruined his chances to overtake Jeff Gordon for the lead. Later there was some back-and-forth between the respective pit crews.
The two then engaged in a battle on Twitter with Hamlin tweeting: “Last time I checked he had my cell and direct message button to choose from if he's got a problem. Otherwise hush little child”
That extra drama could make for an exciting race Sunday as Hamlin starts things off from the No. 1 position in NASCAR’s Spring Cup Series at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Calif.
The 23-year-old Logana won’t be too far behind Hamlin in the No. 7 spot, and will look to improve on just three laps led in four Sprint Cup starts this year.
Defending Cup champion and current points leader Brad Keselowski picked up the third position with a 187.149 mph lap, just behind Greg Biffle’s 187.217 mph for No. 2.
Last week’s winner at Britstol, Kasey Kahne, can try to crack the top five in the standings with another strong finish. The Farmers Insurance driver has two top five and two top 10 finishes in four starts this year.
Dale Earnhardt Jr. rests nine points behind Keselowski for the Cup lead, and will start from the No. 15 slot. Earnhardt Jr. has led 47 laps this year, and finished sixth at Bristol from the No. 32 position.
Coverage of the race begins at 3 p.m. on Fox.
The top 10 in Sunday’s starting grid can be viewed below, with the manufacturer and car number included:
Denny Hamlin, Toyota, 11
Greg Biffle, Ford, 16
Brad Keselowski, Ford, 2
Kyle Busch, Toyota, 18
Matt Kenseth, Toyota, 20
Joey Logano, Ford, 22
Martin Truex Jr., Toyota, 56
Tony Stewart, Chevrolet, 14
Mark Martin, Toyota, 55
Kurt Busch, Chevrolet, 78
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change