NASCAR California Sprint Cup Series: Where To Watch Live, Preview, Starting Grid, Denny Hamlin Can’t Escape Controversy, Dale Earnhardt Jr. Can Take Points Lead
By IB Times Staff Reporter | March 25, 2013 3:04 AM EST
Denny Hamlin just can’t seem to avoid controversy.
The Joe Gibbs Racing driver issued a public apology to former teammate Joey Logano for two discretions at Bristol last week. Hamlin bumped Logano on Lap 349, which sent him into a spin and ruined his chances to overtake Jeff Gordon for the lead. Later there was some back-and-forth between the respective pit crews.
The two then engaged in a battle on Twitter with Hamlin tweeting: “Last time I checked he had my cell and direct message button to choose from if he's got a problem. Otherwise hush little child”
That extra drama could make for an exciting race Sunday as Hamlin starts things off from the No. 1 position in NASCAR’s Spring Cup Series at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Calif.
The 23-year-old Logana won’t be too far behind Hamlin in the No. 7 spot, and will look to improve on just three laps led in four Sprint Cup starts this year.
Defending Cup champion and current points leader Brad Keselowski picked up the third position with a 187.149 mph lap, just behind Greg Biffle’s 187.217 mph for No. 2.
Last week’s winner at Britstol, Kasey Kahne, can try to crack the top five in the standings with another strong finish. The Farmers Insurance driver has two top five and two top 10 finishes in four starts this year.
Dale Earnhardt Jr. rests nine points behind Keselowski for the Cup lead, and will start from the No. 15 slot. Earnhardt Jr. has led 47 laps this year, and finished sixth at Bristol from the No. 32 position.
Coverage of the race begins at 3 p.m. on Fox.
The top 10 in Sunday’s starting grid can be viewed below, with the manufacturer and car number included:
Denny Hamlin, Toyota, 11
Greg Biffle, Ford, 16
Brad Keselowski, Ford, 2
Kyle Busch, Toyota, 18
Matt Kenseth, Toyota, 20
Joey Logano, Ford, 22
Martin Truex Jr., Toyota, 56
Tony Stewart, Chevrolet, 14
Mark Martin, Toyota, 55
Kurt Busch, Chevrolet, 78
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Mourinho's Free-Transfer Ploy On Khedira Working, After Latter Refused To Pen New Real Madrid Deal
- Spanish Super Cup Second Leg Preview
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports