Pterosaur Discovery: Prehistoric Flying Reptile Named After Fossil Hunter
By sangeetha seshagiri | March 24, 2013 9:44 PM EST
A nine-year-old girl who discovered a new species of flying reptile four years ago has been honoured by having the species named after her.
Youngster Daisy Morris found some "bones sticking out of the sand," while hunting for fossils at the UK's Isle of Wight in 2008 when she was five years old, reported BBC.
The girl's parents brought the fossils to fossil expert Martin Simpson, at the University of Southampton. Simpson and his colleagues identified the specimen as a new species of pterosaur - a flying reptile that lived alongside dinosaurs during the Lower Cretaceous period, 220 million years ago. The crow-sized pterosaur was named Vectidraco daisymorrisae by the paleontologists. They belong to the group of group of pterosaurs called the azhdarchoids.
The fossils are being preserved at the Natural History Museum for public display. The discovery of the fossil remains of a pterosaur has come just a week after paleontologists discovered a nearly complete skeleton of a 12-feet long dinosaur on the Isle of Wight. Following the discoveries, the museum has named the island as the "dinosaur capital of Great Britain," the BBC report said.
It is very difficult to determine the size of pterodactyloids as they are highly variable in relative body proportions and wing shape, said the researchers. They compared the newly-discovered species with the skeletal reconstructions of the small azhdarchoid Tapejara - a genus of Brazilian pterosaur from the Cretaceous Period. The research team estimated the total length of Vectidraco (from snout to tail) to be about 35 cm (14 inches). They also suggested that the pterosaur likely had a wingspan of about 30 inches (75 cm).
The newly-found species probably had a head crest similar to other small-bodied azhdarchoids. The pterosaur was a good walker and runner on the ground, as well as an expert in flying through dense forests, reported National Geographic.
The findings of the study are published in the journal PLOS ONE.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Immediate Deaths After Ice Bucket Challenge Are Hoaxes Gone Viral: Neck Injury And Hypothermia Killed Two People Performing The Stunt
- Risky Selfies That Were Taken A Few Seconds Before Tragedy Struck
- ISIS Beheading US Journalist James Foley Sparks Outrage, Netizens Demand 'All-Out War'
- ISIS Update: Executioner of James Foley with British Accent Identified as ‘John’
- Human Barbie: Ukranian Teenager Lolita Richi Comes Out As A New Human Barbie, Possible Valeria Lukyanova Rival
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists