French Policy Raid Home Of Christine Lagarde, Head of International Monetary Fund, In Embezzlement Probe That Allegedly Involves Sarkozy Supporter Bernard Tapie
March 21, 2013 1:45 AM EST
French police Wednesday raided the Paris home of Christine Lagarde, the head of the International Monetary Fund, who is suspected of being complicit in embezzeling public funds on behalf of a supporter of former President Nicolas Sarkozy, her one-time boss.
The investigation stems from 2008 when Lagarde was Sarkozy's finance minister. Against the advice of aides she referred a long-running court case between bank Credit Lyonnais and Sarkozy supporter Bernard Tapie to arbitration, which awarded him €285 million ($369 million), the BBC said. The size of the award was widely seen as far greater than he could have gotten in court.
Police suspect Lagarde helped Tapie move the case into arbitration as a reward for supporting Sarkozy's 2007 presidential campaign.
The case between Tapie and the bank began in 1993 when Tapie sued Credit Lyonnais over its handling of the sale of sportswear maker Adidas, in which he held a majority stake. Because the bank which had to pay him the money is partly state-owned, the potential exists for a charge -- which has yet to be filed -- against Lagarde for embezzling public money.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Australian Dollar Outlook - 19 September 2014
- Economy Travel Not So Anymore with Air Canada, Starts Charging C$25 Checked Bag Fee
- Australian Dollar Outlook - 18 September 2014
- U.S. Congress Approves Arming, Training Syrian Rebels Against ISIS
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- New Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Released, Verizon Guide and Installation