French Policy Raid Home Of Christine Lagarde, Head of International Monetary Fund, In Embezzlement Probe That Allegedly Involves Sarkozy Supporter Bernard Tapie
March 21, 2013 1:45 AM EST
French police Wednesday raided the Paris home of Christine Lagarde, the head of the International Monetary Fund, who is suspected of being complicit in embezzeling public funds on behalf of a supporter of former President Nicolas Sarkozy, her one-time boss.
The investigation stems from 2008 when Lagarde was Sarkozy's finance minister. Against the advice of aides she referred a long-running court case between bank Credit Lyonnais and Sarkozy supporter Bernard Tapie to arbitration, which awarded him €285 million ($369 million), the BBC said. The size of the award was widely seen as far greater than he could have gotten in court.
Police suspect Lagarde helped Tapie move the case into arbitration as a reward for supporting Sarkozy's 2007 presidential campaign.
The case between Tapie and the bank began in 1993 when Tapie sued Credit Lyonnais over its handling of the sale of sportswear maker Adidas, in which he held a majority stake. Because the bank which had to pay him the money is partly state-owned, the potential exists for a charge -- which has yet to be filed -- against Lagarde for embezzling public money.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: Australia Mulls To Review Airport Security Policy, Could Allow Scissors, Metal Cutlery Back In Planes
- 5 Likely Reasons Why You Are Not Getting Hired
- This Is How Obesity Weighs Down Global Economy By 2 Trillion Dollars Every Year
- Consumer Alert: Retailer Simons Goes Out Of Quebec, To Open Five Stores Across Canada
- Signs That You Are A Smartphone Zombie (And The Dangers This Poses)
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Nuclear War: Putin Certain To Launch Battle To Avoid Corruption Charges, Whistleblower Claims