French Policy Raid Home Of Christine Lagarde, Head of International Monetary Fund, In Embezzlement Probe That Allegedly Involves Sarkozy Supporter Bernard Tapie
March 21, 2013 1:45 AM EST
French police Wednesday raided the Paris home of Christine Lagarde, the head of the International Monetary Fund, who is suspected of being complicit in embezzeling public funds on behalf of a supporter of former President Nicolas Sarkozy, her one-time boss.
The investigation stems from 2008 when Lagarde was Sarkozy's finance minister. Against the advice of aides she referred a long-running court case between bank Credit Lyonnais and Sarkozy supporter Bernard Tapie to arbitration, which awarded him €285 million ($369 million), the BBC said. The size of the award was widely seen as far greater than he could have gotten in court.
Police suspect Lagarde helped Tapie move the case into arbitration as a reward for supporting Sarkozy's 2007 presidential campaign.
The case between Tapie and the bank began in 1993 when Tapie sued Credit Lyonnais over its handling of the sale of sportswear maker Adidas, in which he held a majority stake. Because the bank which had to pay him the money is partly state-owned, the potential exists for a charge -- which has yet to be filed -- against Lagarde for embezzling public money.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones