French Policy Raid Home Of Christine Lagarde, Head of International Monetary Fund, In Embezzlement Probe That Allegedly Involves Sarkozy Supporter Bernard Tapie
March 21, 2013 1:45 AM EST
French police Wednesday raided the Paris home of Christine Lagarde, the head of the International Monetary Fund, who is suspected of being complicit in embezzeling public funds on behalf of a supporter of former President Nicolas Sarkozy, her one-time boss.
The investigation stems from 2008 when Lagarde was Sarkozy's finance minister. Against the advice of aides she referred a long-running court case between bank Credit Lyonnais and Sarkozy supporter Bernard Tapie to arbitration, which awarded him €285 million ($369 million), the BBC said. The size of the award was widely seen as far greater than he could have gotten in court.
Police suspect Lagarde helped Tapie move the case into arbitration as a reward for supporting Sarkozy's 2007 presidential campaign.
The case between Tapie and the bank began in 1993 when Tapie sued Credit Lyonnais over its handling of the sale of sportswear maker Adidas, in which he held a majority stake. Because the bank which had to pay him the money is partly state-owned, the potential exists for a charge -- which has yet to be filed -- against Lagarde for embezzling public money.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Air Canada Expands Vancouver Boeing 787 Dreamliners To Beijing, Seoul, Shanghai, Tokyo-Narita Routes
- Canada Consumer Alert: Tim Hortons Prices Of Coffee, Sandwiches To Go Up Effective Nov 26
- Doomsday Seed Vault Safeguards More Marijuana Seeds
- Travel Alert: Malaysia’s AirAsia Cuts Number Of Australian Flights
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports