Alaska Witnesses on St Patrick’s Day Northern Lights Caused by Solar Storm (VIDEOS & PHOTOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 20, 2013 6:34 PM EST
Residents of Alaska were treated on Monday, March 18, to the awesome sight of the Northern Lights. The Aurora Borealis was seen from the Interior to South East and parts of South-Central, which includes Anchorage, according to the University of Alaska Fairbanks Geophysical Institute.
The green lights were seen on St Patrick's Day, which has the colour green as its theme.
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration explained the dancing green lights to the release of coronal mass ejection from the Sun's surface that traveled toward the Earth. When its magnetic particles hit the Earth's atmosphere, it results in a geomagnetic storm visible to the naked yes, causing the Northern Lights. It usually takes three days for these particles to reach the planet's atmosphere.
That geomagnetic storms usually measured a G1, out of a range from G1 to G5, and previous storms of that strength caused Auroras near the poles but did not affect electrical systems on Earth, interfered with GPS or satellite-based communications systems, NASA observed, although the agency reported that the solar particles hit one of its satellites.
The event was also witnessed in parts of Iceland, Finland and Scotland.
Here are more amazing images of the Northern Lights.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown