Alaska Witnesses on St Patrick’s Day Northern Lights Caused by Solar Storm (VIDEOS & PHOTOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 20, 2013 6:34 PM EST
Residents of Alaska were treated on Monday, March 18, to the awesome sight of the Northern Lights. The Aurora Borealis was seen from the Interior to South East and parts of South-Central, which includes Anchorage, according to the University of Alaska Fairbanks Geophysical Institute.
The green lights were seen on St Patrick's Day, which has the colour green as its theme.
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration explained the dancing green lights to the release of coronal mass ejection from the Sun's surface that traveled toward the Earth. When its magnetic particles hit the Earth's atmosphere, it results in a geomagnetic storm visible to the naked yes, causing the Northern Lights. It usually takes three days for these particles to reach the planet's atmosphere.
That geomagnetic storms usually measured a G1, out of a range from G1 to G5, and previous storms of that strength caused Auroras near the poles but did not affect electrical systems on Earth, interfered with GPS or satellite-based communications systems, NASA observed, although the agency reported that the solar particles hit one of its satellites.
The event was also witnessed in parts of Iceland, Finland and Scotland.
Here are more amazing images of the Northern Lights.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting: Giant 5 Mile Wide UFO Spotted Over the Ocean in NASA Photograph [Watch Video]
- UFO Sighting In Portsmouth: Sign Of Alien Life Or Smudge On The Camera [Watch Video]
- Lifestyle Changes Reduces Risk of Dementia, According To World Alzheimer Report 2014
- Mysterious Fireball Spotted Over The Rockies Was A Russian Spy Satellite, Experts Say
- Death By Ice Bucket Challenge Accident For Kentucky Firefighter
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4