Alaska Witnesses on St Patrick’s Day Northern Lights Caused by Solar Storm (VIDEOS & PHOTOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 20, 2013 6:34 PM EST
Residents of Alaska were treated on Monday, March 18, to the awesome sight of the Northern Lights. The Aurora Borealis was seen from the Interior to South East and parts of South-Central, which includes Anchorage, according to the University of Alaska Fairbanks Geophysical Institute.
The green lights were seen on St Patrick's Day, which has the colour green as its theme.
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration explained the dancing green lights to the release of coronal mass ejection from the Sun's surface that traveled toward the Earth. When its magnetic particles hit the Earth's atmosphere, it results in a geomagnetic storm visible to the naked yes, causing the Northern Lights. It usually takes three days for these particles to reach the planet's atmosphere.
That geomagnetic storms usually measured a G1, out of a range from G1 to G5, and previous storms of that strength caused Auroras near the poles but did not affect electrical systems on Earth, interfered with GPS or satellite-based communications systems, NASA observed, although the agency reported that the solar particles hit one of its satellites.
The event was also witnessed in parts of Iceland, Finland and Scotland.
Here are more amazing images of the Northern Lights.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS