Alaska Witnesses on St Patrick’s Day Northern Lights Caused by Solar Storm (VIDEOS & PHOTOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 20, 2013 6:34 PM EST
Residents of Alaska were treated on Monday, March 18, to the awesome sight of the Northern Lights. The Aurora Borealis was seen from the Interior to South East and parts of South-Central, which includes Anchorage, according to the University of Alaska Fairbanks Geophysical Institute.
The green lights were seen on St Patrick's Day, which has the colour green as its theme.
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration explained the dancing green lights to the release of coronal mass ejection from the Sun's surface that traveled toward the Earth. When its magnetic particles hit the Earth's atmosphere, it results in a geomagnetic storm visible to the naked yes, causing the Northern Lights. It usually takes three days for these particles to reach the planet's atmosphere.
That geomagnetic storms usually measured a G1, out of a range from G1 to G5, and previous storms of that strength caused Auroras near the poles but did not affect electrical systems on Earth, interfered with GPS or satellite-based communications systems, NASA observed, although the agency reported that the solar particles hit one of its satellites.
The event was also witnessed in parts of Iceland, Finland and Scotland.
Here are more amazing images of the Northern Lights.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Mars Unusual Feature: Alien Skull Buried In Martian Sand
- Seals In Antarctica Are Sexually Assaulting King Penguins
- Accidental Electrocution Makes 12-Year-Old Russian Boy ‘Magnetic’ Similar To X-Men Character
- Kid Discovers 100-million-year-old Marine Reptile Fossil
- Winter Has Come; Snow Covers Half Of US
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports