10 Movies You Shouldn't Miss in 2013 [VIDEOS]
By Ayessa Desiderio | March 20, 2013 3:29 PM EST
There have been a slew of big movies released in 2013, and it's only the first quarter of the year. But the best is yet to come, with action blockbusters, epic romances and crazy comedy looming in the horizon. Check out the top ten movies that's on the must-watch list of every film buff this year.
Iron Man 3
The third and presumably final installment of Iron Man is set to be released in 2013, and it promises to be the biggest and most explosive one yet. In Iron Man 3, Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) stands to lose everything he values and goes on an epic crusade to extract revenge on his enemies. Don Cheadley, Gwyneth Paltrow and Ben Kingsley are other veteran actors who are set to make Iron Man 3 the number one movie on everyone's must-see list this year. It will be in theaters next month, April 2013.
Oblivion is the film adaptation of the Radical Comics graphic novel of the same name. Science fiction enthusiasts will enjoy this film, as director Joseph Kosinski promises it pays homage to the classic science fiction movies of the past. It is set far in the future, where Jack Harper (Tom Cruise) is forced to question his work, existence and the world after rescuing a young stranger. Oblivion's esteemed cast includes Morgan Freeman, Olga Kurylenko and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. Catch it in theaters by April 2013.
The Great Gatsby
The timeless F. Scott Fitzgerald novel has been done and re-done multiple times, but it never gets old. Baz Luhrmann's take on it stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan and Toby Maguire, among others. The audience will be transported to the 1920's world of Nick Carraway, who stumbles into the lavish lifestyle of his wealthy neighbor. People can catch his film adaptation of the literary classic on May 2013.
Star Trek Into Darkness
When it comes to loyal followings, Star Trek's is legendary in both size and enthusiasm. Surely, Trekkies are looking forward to the sequel to the popular reboot that came out in 2009. The crew of the Enterprise faces another earth-shattering challenge that has plunged the Earth into chaos. Led by Captain Kirk (Chris Pine), they embark on another epic manhunt. Star Trek Into Darkness will come out on May 2013.
The Hangover Part III
The wolf pack is back on the screen once more. Although the second installment leaves much to be desired, moviegoers can't wait to see the four bros embark on a crazy journey once again. See Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms and Justin Bartha get into trouble-as only they can-once more in the last film of the trilogy. With the hilarious Alan (Galifianakis) in tow, a bad batch of rufies might again force them into their wildest adventures yet. The Hangover Part III will be released on May 2013.
Unlike others in this list, Before Midnight does not promise to be the biggest, most exciting and most entertaining film of the year. Like the previous installments Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, this Richard Linklater movie is a quiet film full of meaningful conversations instead of powerful superheroes. It has a relatively small cult following who will surely revel in the new film, which sees Jesse and Celine dealing with the real life that comes after happily ever after. Catch the film in theaters on May 2013.
This Is The End
There's always room for more hilarity in Hollywood, and This Is the End gives famous stars plenty of opportunities to make fun of their fellow actors and themselves. The directorial debut of Seth Rogen will showcase himself and fellow comedians playing themselves as the end of the world descends in Los Angeles. Main cast include Rogen, James Franco, Jonah Hill, Jay Baruchel, Danny McBride and Craig Robinson, plus many more big names like Emma Watson, Jason Segel, Rihanna, Paul Rudd and the Backstreet Boys. Don't miss this side-splitting comedy, set to be released on June 2013.
Thor: The Dark World
Only a handful of people did not enjoy the first installment of the Thor franchise. In 2013, Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman and Tom Hiddleston team up once again to deliver Thor: The Dark World. Other big names join the cast including Anthony Hopkins, Zachary Levi and Kat Dennings, sure to boost the hype around the hottest Avenger even more. The Dark World is scheduled to be shown in cinemas on November 2013.
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
It is a year of the sequels as another high-profile franchise produces a much-anticipated second film to follow the success of its first. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire has a loyal fanbase, one that has only gotten larger with Jennifer Lawrence's Best Actress Oscar win. In Catching Fire, the Capitol reveals a shocking twist that has Katniss Everdeen (Lawrence) and Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson) go back into the Arena for the deadly Hunger Games once more. Catch the movie in theaters on November 2013.
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Perhaps only Lord of the Rings fans can rival the ardor of Trekkies, and The Hobbit trilogy ensures the LoTR fanbase has something to look forward to this year as well. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is the second installment and will follow the next stage of Bilbo Baggins' journey to find the treasure of the dragon Smaug. Familiar characters and the classic good-versus-evil storyline will make this trilogy a box-office favorite. Watch it on theaters by December 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best