10 Movies You Shouldn't Miss in 2013 [VIDEOS]
By Ayessa Desiderio | March 20, 2013 3:29 PM EST
There have been a slew of big movies released in 2013, and it's only the first quarter of the year. But the best is yet to come, with action blockbusters, epic romances and crazy comedy looming in the horizon. Check out the top ten movies that's on the must-watch list of every film buff this year.
Iron Man 3
The third and presumably final installment of Iron Man is set to be released in 2013, and it promises to be the biggest and most explosive one yet. In Iron Man 3, Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) stands to lose everything he values and goes on an epic crusade to extract revenge on his enemies. Don Cheadley, Gwyneth Paltrow and Ben Kingsley are other veteran actors who are set to make Iron Man 3 the number one movie on everyone's must-see list this year. It will be in theaters next month, April 2013.
Oblivion is the film adaptation of the Radical Comics graphic novel of the same name. Science fiction enthusiasts will enjoy this film, as director Joseph Kosinski promises it pays homage to the classic science fiction movies of the past. It is set far in the future, where Jack Harper (Tom Cruise) is forced to question his work, existence and the world after rescuing a young stranger. Oblivion's esteemed cast includes Morgan Freeman, Olga Kurylenko and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. Catch it in theaters by April 2013.
The Great Gatsby
The timeless F. Scott Fitzgerald novel has been done and re-done multiple times, but it never gets old. Baz Luhrmann's take on it stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan and Toby Maguire, among others. The audience will be transported to the 1920's world of Nick Carraway, who stumbles into the lavish lifestyle of his wealthy neighbor. People can catch his film adaptation of the literary classic on May 2013.
Star Trek Into Darkness
When it comes to loyal followings, Star Trek's is legendary in both size and enthusiasm. Surely, Trekkies are looking forward to the sequel to the popular reboot that came out in 2009. The crew of the Enterprise faces another earth-shattering challenge that has plunged the Earth into chaos. Led by Captain Kirk (Chris Pine), they embark on another epic manhunt. Star Trek Into Darkness will come out on May 2013.
The Hangover Part III
The wolf pack is back on the screen once more. Although the second installment leaves much to be desired, moviegoers can't wait to see the four bros embark on a crazy journey once again. See Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms and Justin Bartha get into trouble-as only they can-once more in the last film of the trilogy. With the hilarious Alan (Galifianakis) in tow, a bad batch of rufies might again force them into their wildest adventures yet. The Hangover Part III will be released on May 2013.
Unlike others in this list, Before Midnight does not promise to be the biggest, most exciting and most entertaining film of the year. Like the previous installments Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, this Richard Linklater movie is a quiet film full of meaningful conversations instead of powerful superheroes. It has a relatively small cult following who will surely revel in the new film, which sees Jesse and Celine dealing with the real life that comes after happily ever after. Catch the film in theaters on May 2013.
This Is The End
There's always room for more hilarity in Hollywood, and This Is the End gives famous stars plenty of opportunities to make fun of their fellow actors and themselves. The directorial debut of Seth Rogen will showcase himself and fellow comedians playing themselves as the end of the world descends in Los Angeles. Main cast include Rogen, James Franco, Jonah Hill, Jay Baruchel, Danny McBride and Craig Robinson, plus many more big names like Emma Watson, Jason Segel, Rihanna, Paul Rudd and the Backstreet Boys. Don't miss this side-splitting comedy, set to be released on June 2013.
Thor: The Dark World
Only a handful of people did not enjoy the first installment of the Thor franchise. In 2013, Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman and Tom Hiddleston team up once again to deliver Thor: The Dark World. Other big names join the cast including Anthony Hopkins, Zachary Levi and Kat Dennings, sure to boost the hype around the hottest Avenger even more. The Dark World is scheduled to be shown in cinemas on November 2013.
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
It is a year of the sequels as another high-profile franchise produces a much-anticipated second film to follow the success of its first. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire has a loyal fanbase, one that has only gotten larger with Jennifer Lawrence's Best Actress Oscar win. In Catching Fire, the Capitol reveals a shocking twist that has Katniss Everdeen (Lawrence) and Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson) go back into the Arena for the deadly Hunger Games once more. Catch the movie in theaters on November 2013.
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Perhaps only Lord of the Rings fans can rival the ardor of Trekkies, and The Hobbit trilogy ensures the LoTR fanbase has something to look forward to this year as well. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is the second installment and will follow the next stage of Bilbo Baggins' journey to find the treasure of the dragon Smaug. Familiar characters and the classic good-versus-evil storyline will make this trilogy a box-office favorite. Watch it on theaters by December 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- 'Sylvester Stallone Dies In Horrible Car Accident’ Death Hoax Goes Viral
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoiler: Revelation Of Reason Why Penny, Leonard ‘Not’ Getting Married Soon
- 'The Bachelorette' Update: Andi Dorfman And Josh Murray To Setup Career In Hollywood- Reports
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett to Rediscover Nathan Fillion's Rick Castle; 'Derrick Storm' Coming to ABC [VIDEO]
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 26, 2014: Past Mistakes, Betrayals And Confrontations In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown