Jeremy Lin Watch: Houston Rockets Star Having A Great March -- Can It Continue?
March 20, 2013 5:42 AM EST
The first few months with his new team were a struggle for Jeremy Lin.
The guard signed with the Houston Rockets in the offseason, agreeing to a $25 million contract over three years. The signing drew much attention after Lin’s extraordinary run with the New York Knicks, but the 24-year-old was unable to initially meet expectations.
Now, Lin seems to be settling in with the Rockets. In March, the point guard is easily having his best month of the season. Through eight games, he’s averaging 16 points and 5.4 assists points per game. His 51.1 field goal percentage in that span is seven points higher than what he’s shot for most of the season.
Lin has also cut down on his mistakes, which may be the biggest flaw in his games. He’s averaging 2.5 turnovers in March, his lowest total for any month. January was his worst month, as he committed 3.2 turnovers per game.
It might not be easy for Lin to continue his level of play over the final 15 games and into the postseason. He’s taken advantage of playing lesser competition, as the Rockets have played just two playoff teams in their past eight games. In the next month, the Harvard grad will have to face the likes of the San Antonio Spurs, Indiana Pacers, Los Angeles Clippers and Lakers.
Having 67 games under his belt with his new teammates, though, may be the biggest reason for Lin’s production. He and James Harden struggled while playing at the same time for much of 2012, but the two have improved in sharing the ball in 2013.
Lin’s improved play has also contributed to his team’s success. Houston is one game ahead of the Los Angeles Lakers for the seventh seed in the West. At 36-31, they trail the Golden State Warriors by just one game in the loss column for the sixth seed in the Conference.
With a month left until the start of the playoffs, Lin is averaging 13 points, 6.1 assists and 3.2 rebounds per contest. He’s right behind Harden with 1.82 steals a game, good enough for sixth in the NBA.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Top 10 WTA Fastest Tennis Serves of All Time
- Without LeBron James, Kevin Durant And Other Stars, Team USA Looks to James Harden As Leader In 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- UEFA Champions League Draw: Schedule, TV and Live Stream Information
- Marcos Maidana Heavily Praised By Mexican Boxing Legends
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- Amazon Threatened by Google’s Partnership with Barnes and Noble