Jeremy Lin Watch: Houston Rockets Star Having A Great March -- Can It Continue?
March 20, 2013 5:42 AM EST
The first few months with his new team were a struggle for Jeremy Lin.
The guard signed with the Houston Rockets in the offseason, agreeing to a $25 million contract over three years. The signing drew much attention after Lin’s extraordinary run with the New York Knicks, but the 24-year-old was unable to initially meet expectations.
Now, Lin seems to be settling in with the Rockets. In March, the point guard is easily having his best month of the season. Through eight games, he’s averaging 16 points and 5.4 assists points per game. His 51.1 field goal percentage in that span is seven points higher than what he’s shot for most of the season.
Lin has also cut down on his mistakes, which may be the biggest flaw in his games. He’s averaging 2.5 turnovers in March, his lowest total for any month. January was his worst month, as he committed 3.2 turnovers per game.
It might not be easy for Lin to continue his level of play over the final 15 games and into the postseason. He’s taken advantage of playing lesser competition, as the Rockets have played just two playoff teams in their past eight games. In the next month, the Harvard grad will have to face the likes of the San Antonio Spurs, Indiana Pacers, Los Angeles Clippers and Lakers.
Having 67 games under his belt with his new teammates, though, may be the biggest reason for Lin’s production. He and James Harden struggled while playing at the same time for much of 2012, but the two have improved in sharing the ball in 2013.
Lin’s improved play has also contributed to his team’s success. Houston is one game ahead of the Los Angeles Lakers for the seventh seed in the West. At 36-31, they trail the Golden State Warriors by just one game in the loss column for the sixth seed in the Conference.
With a month left until the start of the playoffs, Lin is averaging 13 points, 6.1 assists and 3.2 rebounds per contest. He’s right behind Harden with 1.82 steals a game, good enough for sixth in the NBA.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans