Jeremy Lin Watch: Houston Rockets Star Having A Great March -- Can It Continue?
March 20, 2013 5:42 AM EST
The first few months with his new team were a struggle for Jeremy Lin.
The guard signed with the Houston Rockets in the offseason, agreeing to a $25 million contract over three years. The signing drew much attention after Lin’s extraordinary run with the New York Knicks, but the 24-year-old was unable to initially meet expectations.
Now, Lin seems to be settling in with the Rockets. In March, the point guard is easily having his best month of the season. Through eight games, he’s averaging 16 points and 5.4 assists points per game. His 51.1 field goal percentage in that span is seven points higher than what he’s shot for most of the season.
Lin has also cut down on his mistakes, which may be the biggest flaw in his games. He’s averaging 2.5 turnovers in March, his lowest total for any month. January was his worst month, as he committed 3.2 turnovers per game.
It might not be easy for Lin to continue his level of play over the final 15 games and into the postseason. He’s taken advantage of playing lesser competition, as the Rockets have played just two playoff teams in their past eight games. In the next month, the Harvard grad will have to face the likes of the San Antonio Spurs, Indiana Pacers, Los Angeles Clippers and Lakers.
Having 67 games under his belt with his new teammates, though, may be the biggest reason for Lin’s production. He and James Harden struggled while playing at the same time for much of 2012, but the two have improved in sharing the ball in 2013.
Lin’s improved play has also contributed to his team’s success. Houston is one game ahead of the Los Angeles Lakers for the seventh seed in the West. At 36-31, they trail the Golden State Warriors by just one game in the loss column for the sixth seed in the Conference.
With a month left until the start of the playoffs, Lin is averaging 13 points, 6.1 assists and 3.2 rebounds per contest. He’s right behind Harden with 1.82 steals a game, good enough for sixth in the NBA.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced